Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some of you have requested more of CS 890

Date: 04/04/09 04:51
Some of you have requested more of CS 890
Author: CS890

Some replies have asked for more in process pictures.

Yes, we only did the sun side (fireman's) and front.

The Burlington lettering is an interesting story........

We obtained quotes for vinyl 'decal' lettering, they came in at $150 - $350, way above our budget. The solution, a pdf file uploaded to a local blueprint shop. They printed it full size, 3' x 15', white letters on black background, price $15.75. The stencils were hours and hours of work but it was our only choice

One of our props for the night photo session was a real CB&Q searchlight signal head. We didn't have a mast but a local railroad supply company lent us one for the weekend. We ran the step lights, number boards and interior cab lights off of 110 VAC, The signal and class lights off a 12 VDC auto battery charger, the head light off a welder, and the Mars light has its own power supply. DE 011 supplied its own wiring and we sacrificed its front to rear MU wires for bundled cables to run from the locomotive to a light control board equipped with household dimmer switches to control the intensity.

Date: 04/04/09 05:27
Re: Some of you have requested more of CS 890
Author: MrMRL

While I applaud everyone's efforts for taking on the enormous task to custom paint 1/2 a full scale locomotive, I question your sanity! Actually, very convincing, just don't walk around to the other side, or start looking closely at the detail work. Really too bad even just the shell couldn't be picked up by a museum for any form of preservation other than the numerous high-res digital photographs and personal gratification, or was the paint used not really even up for that task?

Mr. MRL - so, when can we expect the NP U-boat?

Date: 04/04/09 06:11

Excellent question, and something I should have brought up some time ago.

The latex paint we used was $28/gallon. It would only last a few months based on the surface preparation time we had (none). We had to use latex because non-water based paints wouldn't dry in the conditions that we had. Museum quality paints are $100 + a gallon.

The bottom line, we did what we did with the materials we could afford. It was do it that way or not do it at all. So we choose the former rather than the latter.

Based on the majority of the comments, we made the right decision, if not for our own adventure.

CS890

Date: 04/04/09 09:38
Author: theironhorse

All I can say is WOW and THANK YOU. I think you guys did the right thing in order to see was once was, if only for a moment. You are not insane!! I would do the same if given the opportunity. What is money if we can't enjoy simple pleasures in life.

The Iron Horse

Date: 04/04/09 10:58
Author: dendavis

Having grown up on the Colorado and Southern mainline, Longmont, to be exact (and my continuing thanks to Gevoman for his posts), the image was all I needed. Good memories.......

Thanks for a great job!

Date: 04/04/09 12:09
Author: SPSF

I would like to see more pics - anyone that did something as cool as this would have taken at least 100 pics.

PS - in the night shots where the edge of the locomotive meets the skyline looks photoshopped, same thing with the edges of the signal.

Date: 04/04/09 14:53
Author: grandroad

Men-
Absolutely amazing job. Good for you!
Paul

Date: 04/04/09 15:37
Author: roustabout

CS890 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, we only did the sun side (fireman's) and
> front.

I concur - good for you - it was a work of love, short lived. Thanks for sharing it with everyone!

And FWIW, The Reverend's endeavors are almost on the same level, except that he paints both sides and they occasionally run!

Roustabout out

Date: 04/04/09 16:18

I want to come clear on the photo shop issue right now.

Yes, the picture with the signal has two areas that were shopped.

1st we had to suspend the signal with a .25" cable from a on site crane. We could have painted the cable but didn't know what color the sky was going to be since it was cloudy.

2nd the far upper right corner of the picture had the crane boom in it which was also photo shopped out. Viewed on a 8 x 10 the triangle would be about 1" x 1".

No, I repeat, no portions of the locomotive or props have been photo shopped, nor will they be unless noted in a caption, there's no need to. We didn't want that 'hanging' over our head.

You will note that some pictures have the T handle latches on the doors and later pics have the proper cup latches (with the T handles covered over with .040 model railroad styrene). Yes we used model railroad materials to kit bash the real thing.

Tomorrow I will post a couple more pics (I took over 1000 digital photos and finished off my 'last' four rolls of Kodachrome). I had been saving them for about 6 months for something special, preferably RED. I'd like to say we did it just so I could shoot the last of my film and put the FM-2s up on the shelf for good.

CS890

Date: 04/04/09 18:01
Author: imrl

Let those naysayers naysay. I think you and the gang did a FANTASTIC job. I only wish I knew about it prior to this beautiful piece's demise as I would have gladly helped and would have loved to document it myself.

For those that ask why, if you have to ask, you will never understand.

Please, PLEASE, post as many pictures as you can as this is truly an amazing accomplishment.

Greg M.

Date: 04/04/09 18:13
Author: redneckrailfan

This was an incredible job you guys did and a damn fine one at that! Only wish the locomotive could have last longer before being parted out. I'd have gladly paid to have an opportunity to photograph this unit!

Bryan Jones
Brooks, KY
Bryan's Train Photos

Date: 04/04/09 23:29
Author: burlingtonjohn

redneckrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd have
> gladly paid to have an opportunity to photograph
> this unit!

Ditto.

Stunning. Simply stunning.

Regards & Everywhere West,
Burlington John

Date: 04/06/09 09:22
Author: wchogger

That is just beautiful, too bad it could not go to a museum when you guys were done with your photos. I read the engine was cut up for scrap right after you were done.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0772 seconds