Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Grade of Metrolink's El Monte Flyover

Date: 12/12/02 16:41
Grade of Metrolink's El Monte Flyover
Author: rms492

Does anyone know the % of grade that the flyover is at El Monte? Just curious, because here you can "see" the grade, so if it's say 3%, then I have a good idea of how steep other grades are in comparison, say Cajon, Beaumont, Raton, etc...

Thanks.

P.S. I would imagine the flyover at San Bernardino is the same %?

Date: 12/12/02 17:44
Re: Grade of Metrolink's El Monte Flyover
Author: LA2ndDistrict

They have to be at least 2.8 to 3.1% to get over the freight lines in a contained space.

The El Monte Fly summits Between the San Gabriel River and Durfee Ave. The Westward grade starts just east of the San Gabriel River Fwy (605). and the eastward grade starts at Cogswell Rd. (where the Intermediate signal 131/132 sits).
The San Bernardino Fly is confined Between Rancho Ave and Mt. Vernon Ave (1.1 miles).
Yes, Freight Trains (the Kaiser Hauler) have been on the SB flyover.

Second District out - Flying on the Flyovers.

Date: 12/12/02 20:49
Re: Grade of Metrolink's Flyovers
Author: puckeringswine

I believe they are actually 6 % , sounds steep but they are relatively short distances and lightweight trains. Freight trains do use the San Bernardino and Redondo Flyovers though.

Date: 12/12/02 23:28
Re: Grade of Metrolink's Flyovers
Author: TopcoatSmith

Redondo is something like 4% IIRC.

TCS - but they're empty trains to 1st street.

Date: 12/13/02 00:28
Puckering Swine
Author: LA2ndDistrict

Baretables on the Redondo Fly, are considered as a Freight train and the Kaiser Hauler Has used the San Bernardino Fly. They usually do when the A yard is plugged. One time I was out at Kaiser and the San Gabriel Sub DS had given instructions to the Hauler to follow a Metrolink train over the flyover and then enter the Cajon Sub at the Puzzle Switch in San Bernardino.

Second District out - Can't out prove the Metrolink DS or the crew's on the Hauler

Date: 12/13/02 06:48
Re: Puckering Swine
Author: puckeringswine

The Kaiser Hauler broke in two on the San Bernardino Flyover a couple of weeks ago, after they fixed the knuckle and tried to pull the rest of the train over, they broke in two again. TCS is probably correct on the grade, I think they are all about the same, I do know they are steeper than 3%

Date: 12/13/02 07:06
Re: Grade of Metrolink's El Monte Flyover
Author: railstiesballast

The grades on the San Bernardino and Redondo Jct. flyovers are 3%, the grade on the San Gabriel River/El Monte is 2%. These are the effective grades considering curve resistance, the actual grades are slightly less. There are no prohibitions on freight use, just speed restrictions in consideration of braking on those grades.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0308 seconds