Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Past & Present...subtle change

Date: 10/21/09 10:20
Past & Present...subtle change
Author: GRNDMND

But not for long. We're in Azusa, CA looking east along the former Santa Fe Second District. In Photo #1,taken on 2/13/1971 from the platform of the Azusa depot, Amtrak is less than three months away from start-up, but here is the pride of SFe's passenger fleet. W/B train #17, the combined Super Chief/El Capitan behind the signature brace of EMD F's crossing the Alameda Street crossing just east of the depot. In photo #2, the tracks are now owned by the SCRRA and the line is now severed at Arcadia, CA with SFe's successor, the BNSF handling the local switching work on the line. For at least the last seven years, BNSF has also run a "Santa Train" for the patients and staff at the City of Hope Cancer Hospital in nearby Duarte. Here, on 12/03/2006, one of those specials is w/b about to enter the same Alameda Street crossing as #17 above. The major change is the owner of the line, operator of the train and it's equipment. There are some subtle changes too, the crossing is now protected by more modern flashing lights and gates instead of just flashing lights. Also, the quonset-hut style building to the left has received some paint and there is a newer building in the background. But the big change ahead is the extension of the Gold Line from Pasadena east to Azusa, with construction hopefully to start with in the next two years. Soon there will be another chapter in the Past & Present history along the old SFe in Azusa. Thanks for looking in.

KC - oh, it's Warbonnet Wednesday too!

Date: 10/21/09 11:26
Re: Past & Present...subtle change
Author: DRGW5502

Great photos. Trains sure got ugly.

Date: 10/21/09 11:52
Author: UPNW2-1083

That first one is beautiful, Kevin. I'm going to have to steal it for my desk top photo. The only thing that would make that train look any better would be PA's on it, but that would be asking too much.-BMT

Date: 10/21/09 13:57
Author: PasadenaSub

Very nice images, Kevin!

Great work on both the past and present.

I hope you don't mind if I add one to your thread - since it's Warbonnet Wednesday I'd thought I would post a pic from just west of your photos, taken about an hour ago. Here's today's westbound Pasadena Local coming through Azusa, as viewed from between Azusa Ave. and San Gabriel Ave. with the depot in the background. A long train today - with about 20 cars for Miller in Irwindale.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds