Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs

Date: 10/21/09 10:47
UP Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs
Author: bnsftim

There was a diagnal road crossing by a Catholic Church in Norwalk Ca and in the SP days it was heavily used. Has this line now been abandoned??

Date: 10/21/09 11:22
Re: UP Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs
Author: brassjournal

Hmmm. Can't quite bring that location to mind. Any other landmarks or information available? Maybe Google Earth or MapQuest?

Date: 10/21/09 11:26
Author: bnsftim

It was an heavy industrial area large concrete buildings.

Date: 10/21/09 12:21
Author: MrMRL

This is in Southern California for those not in the know...

You are referring to either the Los Nietos Sub which runs from Whittier south to the Studebaker Wye in Norwalk then west to Compton, or the Santa Ana Industrial Lead which runs southeast from the Studebaker Wye in Norwalk down to Anaheim, partially parallel to the I-5 Fwy.

The Los Nietos Sub is relatively quiet today since most freights use the Alameda Corridor to escape the LA & Long Beach Ports, which is what this line was intended for in SP days (correct SP historians?). I have seen a few stack trains in recent past detouring on the Los Nietos Sub due to track work in the Corridor, but it is rare. The only other use the line sees west of the Studebaker Wye is local industry switching. The Santa Ana Industrial Lead is the southern third of the route the West Colton-Anaheim Hauler (& vice-versa) travels along almost every day. The Hauler takes the east leg of the Studebaker Wye when traveling between the Los Nietos Sub and the Santa Ana Industrial Lead. There are various locals that switch the industries up and down the Lead between Norwalk and South Anaheim.

Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/09 15:19 by MrMRL.

Date: 10/21/09 19:24
Author: vegasrails

Right across from the corner of Florence Ave and Pioneer road, know the location well track speed I believe was limited to 40mph during SP days, I have no idea what it is now.

Date: 10/21/09 20:09
Author: ButteStBrakeman

vegasrails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right across from the corner of Florence Ave and
> Pioneer road, know the location well track speed I
> believe was limited to 40mph during SP days, I
> have no idea what it is now.

Ken, I think the speed on that branch was restricted speed if I remember right.

Virlon

SLOCONDR

Date: 10/21/09 20:30
Author: UPNW2-1083

The the maximum timetable speed on the entire branch from MP 0.0 (Bartolo) to MP 21.7 (CP Compton on the Alameda Corridor) is 20 MPH with the exception of DT Jct. (BNSF xing) which is 10 MPH with a short portion of the curve there, restricted to 15 MPH. I think there's a slow order from the Studebaked Wye to CP Compton of 10 MPH though.-BMT

Date: 10/23/09 01:28
Author: SPLoopConductor

Orr & Day Road?

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds