Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Air Bag System to Reduce Railway Pedestrian Fatalities

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/22/09 06:48
Air Bag System to Reduce Railway Pedestrian Fatalities
Author: nspctrjn

http://www.cities21.org/cow_catcher.htm (this link was found at the end of this newspaper article from the Redwood City Daily News).

PALO ALTO

Can train air bags save lives? \◾◾ Cushions in front of trains would safely catch people on tracks, developer says

BY DIANA SAMUELS

Daily News Staff Writer

A Palo Alto resident believes the solution to saving lives on the Caltrain tracks and other rail systems may lie in a technology that already protects people every day: air bags.

Steve Raney, who works for Advanced Transportation Systems Ltd., a United Kingdom- based firm that develops personalized rapid transit systems, has worked up a proposal to put air bags on the front of trains. Though no official designs exist yet, the air bags would theoretically cushion someone on the tracks from the train’s initial impact and then scoop them up to get them out of harm’s way, Raney said.

APalo Alto city official wrote a letter in support of the proposal Friday, saying the city “is in support of any effort to improve pedestrian and vehicle safety along railroad corridors and right of ways.”

Raney said he is friends with the mother of one of the four Palo Alto teenagers who died on the tracks this year. After the teen died, Raney started thinking about potential solutions. But he didn’t do anything about his idea, until another teen died this fall.

“I just felt bad that I hadn’t acted on it,” Raney said.

Since October, the idea has become a “side project” for Raney. He researched patents for other air bag designs and contacted physics and transportation experts for their feedback.

He found one patent for an exterior air bag system for cars. The patent holder says it could allow a driver to survive a 45-mph collision between a car and a wall.

“Let’s look at how the auto air bag has evolved and modify that a bit and apply it to rail safety,” Raney said.

Raney said his proposal would put a 15-footlong, 7-foot-tall rectangular air bag on the front of the train. The air bag would act as a cushion when it first strikes the person, and then would form into a firm wedge, scooping up the person as the train brakes to a stop.

“It’s a very, very sharp stop, but it’s a controlled and fast stop,” Raney said.

He has run the idea by two physics-expert acquaintances, who say they believe the physics might be “doable” if the air bag is designed correctly, Raney said.

“I would have dropped it if someone had given me a strongly worded and articulate answer that this isn’t going to work,” Raney said. But no one did.

TRAIN AIR BAGS, page A4

Continued from TRAIN AIR BAGS on Page A01

TRAIN AIR BAGS

From page A1

He is shopping the idea around to air bag companies, officials in other countries where rail suicides are a problem, and others, looking for grant money or an interested company or official to take the project under their wing.

He plans to ask the federal Transportation Research Board for $450,000 in funding for design development and implementation.

Steve Emslie, Palo Alto deputy city manager, submitted a letter in support of Raney’s application.

“Why wouldn’t we support something that could be a good idea?” Emslie said.

Raney has also contacted Caltrain officials. Agency spokesman Mark Simon said he told Raney that Caltrain can’t get involved at this early stage.

“We don’t have the resources, the staff or the facilities to be a test site for new ideas,” Simon said. “You’re talking about a hugely time-consuming effort.”

But they appreciate any new ideas, Simon said.

“We wish (Raney) well and we’re interested in seeing the outcome of his efforts,” Simon said.

Raney has posted information about his proposal at www.cities21.org/ cow_catcher.htm

The front page half of the newspaper article was not available to post until 9:36 am.

Date: 12/22/09 07:49
Re: Air Bag System to Reduce Railway Pedestrian Fatalit
Author: gyralite

Sorry, but this looks like something from Monty Python.

Date: 12/22/09 07:57
Author: QU25C

10 to 79 MPH Will kill you air bag or not, It will deflect you into something, Up in to train or off to the side, The landing will get you one way or another.

Date: 12/22/09 08:34
Author: jackpot

I seem to recall some sort of foolishness like this from "Smash Lab." They created a giant airbag that would inflate in front of vehicles on grade crossings, and "gently" push the car out of the way. The rig was giant, and prohibited anything coupling up to the front of the locomotive.

Nothing like clueless politicians, though, right?

Date: 12/22/09 08:37
Author: needles_district

Looks like sound, out of the box thinking. Anything that saves even one life, no matter how many billions of dollars go into it's development, is worth it!

Date: 12/22/09 08:39
Author: skinem

Regardless, this is gonna sound cold. If a person's determined to do themself in, they're gonna find a way. Seems there are others more deserving of these resources/efforts (the cold-sounding part). Have been involved in a couple of instances myself where they used us to depart this world. Oh, and it's not usually people we hit....lots of cattle, deer, dogs etc. Did appreciate the Monty Python reference by the way. I probably don't get the whole concept though after looking at it. I had a B!#$h of a time with physics in college!

Date: 12/22/09 08:40
Author: SD452XR

Why do we keep spending money on trying to protect people from their own stupidity?

Date: 12/22/09 09:24
Author: TS2010

jackpot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I seem to recall some sort of foolishness like
> this from "Smash Lab." They created a giant airbag
> that would inflate in front of vehicles on grade
> crossings, and "gently" push the car out of the
> way. The rig was giant, and prohibited anything
> coupling up to the front of the locomotive.
>
> Nothing like clueless politicians, though, right?

Yeah, I saw that too. They also tried some sorta swivel wedge. Both were failures. The Airbag would rely on the crew activating it at the exactly correct moment to be effective. Too soon, and the bag would deflate and be ineffective, to late and best case scenario the trespasser would be injured by the force of the airbag, not to mention still potentially being hit by the train.

Any one curious about the swivel wedge, it caused more damage than the collision itself, as it had a tendency to project a vehicle to the side, and back under the wheels.

Date: 12/22/09 10:24
Author: ssloansjca

They could put a giant soft inflatable appendage that would protrude from the front of every locomotive on every train with a soft sack-like structure underneath. The appendage could wiggle back and forth as the train goes down the track. If it strikes a victim it could guide the victim into the sack which would gently cuddle the victim until the train safely glides to a stop. The appendage/sack structure could deflate when using it is not convenient, such as when the locomotive is in a train consist.

I think the government should write me a giant check right now for coming up with this system.

~Steve Sloan

Date: 12/22/09 10:33
Author: ChS7-321

ssloansjca Wrote:
> They could put a giant soft inflatable appendage
> that would protrude from the front of every
> locomotive on every train with a soft sack-like
> structure underneath. The appendage could wiggle
> back and forth as the train goes down the track.
> If it strikes a victim it could guide the victim
> into the sack which would gently cuddle the victim
> until the train safely glides to a stop. The
> appendage/sack structure could deflate when using
> it is not convenient, such as when the locomotive
> is in a train consist.
>
> I think the government should write me a giant
> check right now for coming up with this system.
>
> ~Steve Sloan

The mental image of this device is priceless.....

Date: 12/22/09 10:33
Author: spnudge

Just when you think most of the nuts are in the basket, one gets out. Lets try a shopping cart. Wonder how far the bag would send it? Could mow down a few people waiting at the station.

They miised the boat. Just install spring jacks so the train raises 15 feet and rolls clear over the person. I know my grandson could come up with something. Just hire Superman's brother, Airrail Man.

Nudge

Date: 12/22/09 10:34
Author: puddlejumper

Grade separation and fences would be better ideas. This air bag thing will not go far for long.

Date: 12/22/09 11:13
Author: SCAX3401

needles_district Wrote:
> Looks like sound, out of the box thinking.
> Anything that saves even one life, no matter how
> many billions of dollars go into it's development,
> is worth it!

If there was an endless supply of billions of dollars, then I would agree, but with limited finanical resources (even in a great economy) there has to be priorities. I would instead spend the money on technology or physical improvements that would protect the innocent public from diasters. This could be Positive Train Control, making airliners able to better withstand issues that cause them to crash, etc.). Dumping cash to develop a system to prevent those morons that decide to trespass (or trespass by being inattentive) from getting killed isn't high on my prority list. It make sound cold, but there is a price to a human life and just spending all your money to save one life isn't smart thinking.

Date: 12/22/09 11:43
Author: fjc

I'm not surprised this is coming out of Palo Alto.

Date: 12/22/09 11:53
Author: kk5ol

puddlejumper Wrote:
> Grade separation and fences would be better ideas.
> This air bag thing will not go far for long.

Okay, so how about a foam rubber snowplow . . . ?

RailNet802, ober

Date: 12/22/09 12:13
Author: CarolVoss

fjc Wrote:
> I'm not surprised this is coming out of Palo Alto.

I thought maybe Santa Cruz??? :-)
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 12/22/09 12:32
Author: BrooklynHauler

Sounds more like a Jack A** or Bam Magera stunt than something practical. What I've seen work is fencing/wall and grade separation.

Date: 12/22/09 13:17
Author: CIOR

Personally I like the idea of a giant "rock em sock em robot" arm that comes out and punches em out of the way.

Date: 12/22/09 13:46
Author: fredkharrison

I've worked with compressed air before and am convinced a jet air blast could blow most organic objects off to the sides of the rails before they made contact with the engine. Even large animals, like moose, while still afoot, could be turned off the roadbed by an assisting megagust.

However, the way things are going here in the States, trains may soon be required to travel at 20 mph or less, stop at all road crossings and be preceeded by a Hyrailer acting as a scout.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/09 01:51 by fredkharrison.

Date: 12/22/09 14:10
Author: RRTrainingServices

gyralite Wrote:
> Sorry, but this looks like something from Monty
> Python.

Thanks, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard. I loves me some Monty Python and can just see Eric Idle and John Cleese working this skit.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1126 seconds