Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Railcar type selected for Oceanside to Escondido "

Date: 06/05/03 09:24
Railcar type selected for Oceanside to Escondido "
Author: tmengineman

Date: 06/05/03 11:12
German Railways Class 642
Author: shed47

Should be identical to, or nearly identical to, the unit shown below. From the Siemens "Desiro" family of railcars, based on the Regio-Sprinter. Articulated with three trucks.

Date: 06/05/03 14:50
Re: German Railways Class 642
Author: potb101

Didn't a demonstrator or something of this sort test out there last summer or something? The photo kind of jolts a memory...

Jody

Date: 06/05/03 16:26
Author: surflinerhogger

There have been two test vehicles over the past few years. The first was the Flexliner on which I was the engineer in 1996. The other was the Regio Sprinter sometime later. I don't know what year the Sprinter was demonstrated.

Date: 06/05/03 17:24
Author: jst3751

Flexliner huh? Were you operating the whole thing, or the part that attempted to demonstrate the flexable split part?

Date: 06/05/03 21:25
Author: puckeringswine

The regio sprinter came to So Cal about the same time or shortly after the Flexliner fiasco if I remember correctly.

Date: 06/05/03 22:45

We did a successful 'split' when we came off the branch into Oceanside. I was operating the front section, and another engineer operated the following section. We came out onto the main line on the east leg of the wye. We stopped and made the split westbound at CP Escondido and wound up side by side at the depot. And, yes it was very much like a drop with a lot of help from the signal department, and permission obtained for the move. It was weird.

Date: 06/05/03 23:08
Author: jst3751

Wasn't there a second demo of the split made between Irvine and Santa Ana that did not work?

Date: 06/06/03 21:32
surflinerhogger......
Author: Jim700

the thing that I remember I hated about running the Flexliner was the horrible alertor. Did you find it to be very disagreeable? Because of the angle of one's legs having to pump that treadle every few seconds it was so physically punishing I couldn't get out of bed the next morning account suffering from back muscle spasms.

Date: 06/06/03 23:06
Re: surflinerhogger......

The bloody thing was hooked up backwards or it might not have been so bad. You had to let up and push back down on the thing within 5 seconds ot it'd go into emergency. If you changed your feet from one position to another for a split second it would nail you. I had a hell of a time with it to Las Vegas. And......that tredle all the way across the floor of the console! What's with that?! Otherwise, it was kind of a hoot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds