Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Mendota Sub Ethanol/Oil Train Question

Date: 11/17/12 10:18
BNSF Mendota Sub Ethanol/Oil Train Question
Author: CSXT_8437

Good Afternoon:

Have oil and ethanol trains coming from the BNSF to NS and CSXT increased traffic levels on the Mendota Subdivision or do these run via the Aurora Sub?

Also, how are traffic levels on the Mendota Sub since there is a downturn in coal?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 11/17/12 14:46
Re: BNSF Mendota Sub Ethanol/Oil Train Question
Author: PrairieRailfan

Coal is down a lot. I live on the Chicago sub triple tracks and it's getting unusual to see coal trains. Oil comes down the Aurora sub or bypasses the Chicago area via the Barstow sub depending its destination. As for ethanol, I really cannot say, I would guess that it depends upon the origin.

Date: 11/17/12 19:17

I just checked with a good source about ethanol moves, and it is literally a matter of where it it sourced, no single sub into Chicago is favored. As for oil moves, the BNSF has been rerouting a limited number of low priority intermodals (not the Z's) off the Aurora sub to the Mendota sub in order to make room for oil trains.

Date: 11/18/12 13:21

Here's a bit more info; the Aurora sub sees roughly one ethanol train a week, the Mendota and Chilli subs, none. Most of the ethanol is heading for the Gulf coast for export to Brazil, or to California for mixing at refineries, and does not get into Illinois.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds