Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Chino's Pak of POC's in POS

Date: 12/13/12 01:07
Chino's Pak of POC's in POS
Author: ats90mph

Caught the Chino Local coming off the branch onto Main 2 of the UP LA Subdivision, in Pomona, CA; just after Amtrak 2 left. Since it was the four (and no "backup"), I'm assuming the reliability has improved...

BTW Amtrak's code for Pomona is POS (Pomona South)...

Advance apologies for the quality, IPhones aren't the best night cameras...

"Pak of POC's" is a tip of the hat to KC :-) http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2487159,2487950#msg-2487950

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/12 02:21 by ats90mph.

Date: 12/13/12 05:05
Re: Chino's Pak of POC's in POS
Author: The_Chief_Way

the Amtrak city code "POS" actually refers to "Pomona SP" as they also used to use "POA"
for another now-abandoned location: "Pomona ATSF"

Date: 12/13/12 05:22

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the Amtrak city code "POS" actually refers to
> "Pomona SP" as they also used to use "POA"
> for another now-abandoned location: "Pomona ATSF"

Ah, Thanks...

Date: 12/13/12 09:12
Author: GRNDMND

Nice catch! By the way, I can't take credit for "POC's" but I don't mind proliferating it's use when describing these "wonderful" machines. Credit goes to an un-named UP employee, who will remain un-named by me. BTW, was this job heading down the branch or coming back up? I see it's right at the depot.

KC

Date: 12/13/12 10:23
Author: JGFuller

Looks like train headed west, coming off the Chino branch, onto the UP [Los Angeles Sub] SP [Alhambra Sub] to the left in picture.

Date: 12/13/12 11:45

JGFuller Wrote:
> Looks like train headed west, coming off the Chino
> branch, onto the UP SP to the left in picture.

You are correct, I did not study the photo as closely as I should have and could have answered my own question.

KC

Date: 12/13/12 12:10

I must say that's about the biggest Chino local I've ever seen! Back In The Day, it warranted 1 SW15, altho IIRC there was a Day and Night job, and I think the power stayed at Pomona [in the storage near the SP depot]. The hauling was done by anyone we could find that had room to pick up.

AM guessing the job now operates to/from W. Colton - so must have to run around its train, as the Chino Branch switch is [or was] west-facing.

Date: 12/13/12 12:42
Author: pdt

When I took pix and video of it in the 1980's, the day job came out on the main in late afternoon.
Power was 2 or 3 GP-9s/SD-9's. It made for great pix with 1st gen power on terrible track. IIRC, the diamond over the
UP main was still in then.

Date: 12/13/12 12:45

JGFuller Wrote:
>
> AM guessing the job now operates to/from W. Colton
> - so must have to run around its train, as the
> Chino Branch switch is west-facing.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe this job goes to/from City of Industry. Power kept in Chino IIRC.

KC

Date: 12/13/12 13:45

That would make more sense, as long as there is a way to get the cars from CofI to WC. And might explain all the power, needed to climb the 15 miles of 1% between Industry and Pomona.

Date: 12/13/12 15:36

JGFuller Wrote:
> I must say that's about the biggest Chino local
> I've ever seen! Back In The Day, it warranted 1
> SW15,

I'm sure it still could have handled this train :-)

> AM guessing the job now operates to/from W. Colton
> - so must have to run around its train, as the
> Chino Branch switch is west-facing.

It was using the LA Sub Main 1 (old SP siding) and Main 2 (original UP Main) to runaround it's train about a year ago, to head towards WC. However, last night it appeared CofI bound...

Date: 12/13/12 18:44
Author: xsphogger

I would guess today's "Chino Lacal" has about one-third the traffic it had in the late 80's and early 90's as many of the former shippers have dissappeared or have gone to trucks and/or containers. One of the big former customers was Interstate Bakeries later known as "Hostess". Many other shippers have dissappeared and the lumber business is currently a fraction of it's former self. Damn no more twinkies!

Date: 12/14/12 07:32
Author: SW1500

In 2000 to 2005ish the Chino hauler was going to Kaiser yard and had 2 sd70ace and 8,000 to 9,000 tons a night. The branch also had 2 morning jobs and the hauler at night which also switched about 4 industries and picked up empties on the Hostess lead before going to Kaiser.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds