Home Open Account Help 400 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Needles sub action - manifest at Ash Hill.

Date: 07/18/14 17:19
Needles sub action - manifest at Ash Hill.
Author: syscom3

I caught this manifest heading west up Ash Hill. In the background, the thunder cell to the east of Cima is still growing in size.

Take a look at the lead engine. A wreck of sorts. Looks like it got patched up from several engines, including a panel from a "pumpkin". Half way through, you will see a tank car with an open hatch.

This concludes my picture and video show from my July 6th trip. Thanks for watching.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/18/14 17:49
Re: Needles sub action - manifest at Ash Hill.
Author: spwr52

Wow! No DPU unit!

Date: 07/18/14 18:46
Author: Out_Of_Service

that's a lot of LNG ... reminds of the bomb train in the Dark Territory movie with Steven Segal

Date: 07/18/14 19:06
Author: RonSD70

That is the Cadiz Turn, which interchanges with the Arizona & California at Cadiz. Nice catch, first picture of it with all GE power.

Ron Butts
Lincoln, CA

Date: 07/18/14 19:30

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that's a lot of LNG ... reminds of the bomb train
> in the Dark Territory movie with Steven Segal

I doubt it. All empties heading back to the refineries to be filled back up.

Date: 07/18/14 20:52
Author: hldtrains

First of all, your photos and videos are great. Always enjoy BNSF and UP in the desert. When I saw the map you posted along with your video near Ash Hill, I remembered seeing the remains of a bridge abutment of what must have been a previous mainline in the same general area of your map. You can see it from old Hwy 66 looking to the north and east, east of Ludlow. I have been tempted a couple of times to hike over to it. Have you seen it? Do you know any history of it?

Thanks for any comments.

Date: 07/18/14 21:41

hldtrains; besides the old alignment on Ash Hill, are you referring to the Tidewater & Tonapah alignment that begins in Ludlow and proceeds northwards?

Date: 07/19/14 13:14
Author: ns1000

NICE video!!!

Date: 07/19/14 14:27
Author: Labiche

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that's a lot of LNG ... reminds of the bomb train
> in the Dark Territory movie with Steven Segal

What LNG? LNG is not moving as freight on any railroad at this time.

That large block of tank cars in the rear half of the train are pressurized tankers for LPG which is liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) which is created by compressing gases, mostly propane. LNG is liquefied natural gas and is created by cooling natural gas to -260 degrees F; if it were transported as freight, it would not be in pressurized LPG-type cars but in cryogenic tank cars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds