Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Another Albany OR Fatality

Date: 07/23/14 00:40
Another Albany OR Fatality
Author: oregonelectric

Tuesday eve brought me to Albany to watch the action. Just after grabbing dinner heading to the Albany Transit Center to eat and watch came the frantic call on the radio. "Emergency, emergency, emergency!" Amtrak 507 struck a pedestrian at the
Madison St crossing. This at the north leg of the wye or now known as the OE to Toledo branch connection. And this happened in full view of the
P&W Toledo Hauler that was waiting to cross over after 507 went by.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/23/14 07:30
Re: Another Albany OR Fatality
Author: asheldrake

sounds like a lot of engine crew trauma....best wishes to them. Arlen

Date: 07/23/14 10:10
Author: SilvertonRR100

Sad that so many are not crossing safely in Albany. Prayers for family of the deceased, and for the crews, several, including at least one on the Toledo Hauler, are TO members. A moment of silence.

Rob

Date: 07/23/14 13:27
Author: roustabout

SilvertonRR100 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sad that so many are not crossing safely in
> Albany. Prayers for family of the deceased, and
> for the crews, several, including at least one on
> the Toledo Hauler, are TO members. A moment of
> silence.
>
> Rob

The fatality last night was a suicide. We were waiting for Amtrak to go by so we could cross and watched the whole thing happen.

Date: 07/23/14 22:29
Author: Jim700

roustabout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The fatality last night was a suicide. We were
> waiting for Amtrak to go by so we could cross and
> watched the whole thing happen.

Sorry you had to witness that, Lou. I'll always be grateful for your situational awareness and prompt changing of radio channels to alert me to this attempted suicide north of Albany's Davidson Street crossing about 6:30 AM on Independence Day morning ten years ago. I was already in Run 8 heading for 70 out of the 30 MPH zone when your thoughtful call came just in time to allow me to get stopped short and avert adding another suicide to my career. Unfortunately I had one more successful attempt before I retired.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds