Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More military madness

Date: 08/31/14 23:23
More military madness
Author: oyw

A funny thing happened early this morning as I began to chase a fresh new UP GE east through San Timoteo Canyon, a military train with nondescript power passed him at Colton and made a right turn up the Palmdale cut-off for Cajon Pass. I had to decide which one to go after, the new unit was nice but the military train seemed a little more unique so up I-15 I went. Coincidentally, a nice video post from "z-trains" yesterday featured several recent military moves. Here are three photos taken on UP trackage at Blue Cut shortly after 8AM.

1) UP 7527 was leading the Yermo bound train, seen snaking its way through the Pass.

2) There was a mixture of all sorts of equipment including semi-trucks, Jeeps, Humvee's and lots of tanks.

3) A going away view of the tanks.

The new GE's can wait for another day, thanks for looking.

OYW

Date: 09/01/14 02:51
Re: More military madness
Author: dcmkris

Nice photos and cool catch.

Looks like a few M113 personnel carriers and the rest of the tracked vehicles with turrets I can pick out on my phone are Bradley infantry fighting vehicles. Basically a troop transport with a large gun, but really not a traditional tank.

Kris

Posted from Android

Date: 09/01/14 06:22
Author: Southern3205

Bradley fighting vehicles are outfitted with a 30MM main gun. I've rebuilt the main guns on Apache helicopters (same caliber), these are some big rounds!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 06:23 by Southern3205.

Date: 09/01/14 08:11
Author: SP8595

All madness aside, Great shots "oyw"! Really diggin that first one.

Date: 09/01/14 08:29
Author: mapboy

That's a different angle, I don't remember seeing shots of yours from here. I saw a lot of these types of vehicles parked at Yermo.

mapboy

Date: 09/01/14 09:18
Author: PHall

These pictures are of a unit from Joint Base Lewis-Mc Chord (aka Ft Lewis) going down to Ft Irwin to have a go at the National Training Center.

Date: 09/01/14 10:39
Author: bradleymckay

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These pictures are of a unit from Joint Base
> Lewis-Mc Chord (aka Ft Lewis) going down to Ft
> Irwin to have a go at the National Training
> Center.

Well...the train symbol was SFBYR-28 (Special ???? to Yermo, CA). I believe "FB" is Fort Bliss, TX. Train went west through Tucson a couple of days ago.

Allen

Date: 09/01/14 14:35
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 09/01/14 16:49
Author: SoCalRailFan

I saw the same train near Hill 582. I saw another one today about 2pm at the Ice Deck in Colton.

Dave Toussaint
Riverside, CA
SoCalRailFan.com

Date: 09/07/14 17:49
Author: SOB

So are .223 NATO rounds when you get hit with one!

SOB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds