Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > My 1st dance with Miss Katy

Date: 10/09/15 10:40
My 1st dance with Miss Katy
Author: santafe199

Of the six Heritage units Union Pacific has in the fleet, Miss Katy was my first real photographic acquisition after returning home to Kansas. I had shot the WP unit trailing in consist while traversing Nebraska along US hwy 30 in 2009, but that doesn’t count.

In April of 2011 the “boss” & I were down hop-scotching antique stores in the Wichita area and I convinced her to let me take my first peek at the ‘Great Plains’ museum grounds in downtown Wichita. I knew that AT&SF FP-45 #93, and the huge Baldwin 4-8-4 #3768 were at the museum, so they were no surprise. But there sat Miss Katy looking like a wallflower off to the side. It was my very first look at her. I was also seeing the 93 & the 3768 for the first time at the Museum. They were captive and weren’t going anywhere, but I knew Miss Katy wouldn’t be there very long. So I immediately rose my camera for a couple of shots regardless of the overcast weather.

I would eventually bag all six UP Heritage units numerous times. But I’ll always remember "my first dance with Miss Katy”…

1. UP’s M-K-T Heritage unit 1988 sits biding her time in Wichita, KS on April 15, 2011.

Thanks for the dance!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/15 10:41 by santafe199.

Date: 10/09/15 16:56
Re: My 1st dance with Miss Katy
Author: ns1000

I missed my "dance with Miss Katy"............work got in the way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1658 seconds