Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road, again?

Date: 03/25/17 18:39
on the road, again?
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   Crozier has been calling for a long time, as well as Dome Valley. With the wife heading off to KS for five days to take care of family business I decided what the heck, so early this morning I left the neighborhood in Palmer Lake, CO for various places in AZ for a week or so. Hopefully will hook up with a few TO'ers along the way. Nothing great today but was BNSF BUSY! On arrival Gallup three west bounds were waiting to get into town waiting for at least three east that I saw and after heading to near the AZ NM state line saw two more west waiting and grabbed and shot of an eastbound at a spot I think was called Mc Cartys at one time? A couple exits into AZ I got off the interstate to check out a crossing catching a westbound (middle) before resuming my westbound drive where I saw an amazing six more east bounds between the top shot and Holbrook where the line started for six west bounds waiting to get into Winslow including a baretable with a pair of UP units but the weather went crazy at West Winslow right after shooting a westbound departing West Winslow with three more east bounds waiting to get into town. The weather looked solid dark towards Flagstaff so I settled in for the night in picturesque Winslow.
JB

Date: 03/25/17 18:57
Re: on the road, again?
Author: callum_out

Ah yes. McCartys, last time through there everything was stopped due to high winds. I-40 was a real joy!

Out

Date: 03/25/17 19:30
Author: AndyBrown

All very nice; can't go wrong out there!

Andy

Date: 03/25/17 19:46
Author: KansasRailHead

Nice Shots

Date: 03/25/17 21:27
Author: Quakerengr

Thanks   for sharing fantastic  locations

Date: 03/25/17 23:01
Author: BCHellman

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .
> I saw and after heading to near the AZ NM state
> line saw two more west waiting and grabbed and
> shot of an eastbound at a spot I think was called
> Mc Cartys at one time?

That's Manuelito, NM

There will be a series of low pressure systems sweeping across the state next week. Sunday should be nice as the next system is forecast to arrive on Monday. Monday and Tuesday will be unsettled. Then the forecast is talking about another system arriving by Friday. If you're down in the Dome Valley, this will mostly amount to wind and possibly high clouds.

Good luck and have fun.

Date: 03/26/17 05:34
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!

Date: 03/26/17 05:57
Author: oklachaser

Really great trio JB.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/26/17 07:36
Author: eatontm

Can't wait to see your Dome coverage!

T

Date: 03/26/17 14:11
Author: tomstp

What is the name of the river in your first photo?

Date: 03/26/17 23:45
Author: BCHellman

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the name of the river in your first photo?

It's the Rio Puerco, or more officially, Rio Puerco of the West, which flows west until it empties into the Little Colorado river at Winslow. The ATSF basically follows it from around McCune, NM to Winslow. The train pictured is eastward. The red rock cliffs in the background to the right is the New Mexico-Arizona border at Lupton. The road visible to the far right is former US-66. Off to the far left, across the river, is Interstate 40.

It's a fascinating area

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds