Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP F unit at CEECO

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 06/08/05 16:52
SP F unit at CEECO
Author: Edwardjb

There's an Espee F unit in black widow paint at CEECO in Tacoma. Who's is it? It sure is BEAUTIFUL.

Ed

Date: 06/08/05 17:08
Re: SP F unit at CEECO
Author: FT

This is how it was painted last year. A wash off job just for the CZ anniversary. Just
look up any of the posts about the special passenger run heading fo Portland and the
convention in July.

Keith A

Date: 06/08/05 17:34
Author: samreeves

It's the fake black widow f-unit. The real (soon to be) black widow f-units are stored in Hunter's Point in SF.

Date: 06/08/05 17:44
Author: px320

Here is a shot of the 6304 taken yesterday at CEECO (provided to me by CEECO.) It is receiving final touch up and paint detail now and will be inspected and ready to roll in the next few days. Chris Skow wanted an Amtrak approved Black Widow F unit for the NRHS convention Train and that is what he's going to get.

This is real paint too, it's going to stay this way for some trips that are planned for the future.

Date: 06/08/05 17:44
Now, THAT is a roster shot!
Author: K3HX

The "WP" 6304 shot by "FT" is about as good an example one might see of "how it should be done."

Proper composure, good sun, razor-sharp, nothing "fouling" the shot, correct angle.

The art is not lost.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 06/08/05 18:14
Author: photobob

With the lower headlight missing in the door, the now required ditch lights, the winteriztion hatches, etc, etc. it doesnt even remotely look like an SP F unit. Its a sheep in wolfs clothing. Its like painting a CP Hudson in Daylight colors. I know its a F unit in black widow colors but on the website for this trip they show a real SP F as part of this trips power. Oh well its just an opinion of a crabby old "Its all Crap Now" foamer.

Date: 06/08/05 18:17

Well photobob, it'll just have to do until someone spends the money to fix a real one.

Date: 06/08/05 18:18
Author: drew1946

this is what it should look like---from another crabby old guy

Date: 06/08/05 18:26
Author: danf

Even though the "details" are way off, I hafta say that it's a better paint job than the "WP 806". I don't think they will have to worry about decals coming off on the road. Do they have a medallion for it? Where did they get the B-unit from as seen in the first photo? That will make a big difference too.

Closer look at the first photo reveals that those are real SP Black Widow F's from back in the day. I guess there is no B-unit for this one.

Date: 06/08/05 18:36
Author: NI030

Dan, the first shot is an old one. It is not this train.

Date: 06/08/05 18:38
Author: danf

That's what I figured...

silagi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan, the first shot is an old one. It is not this
> train.

Date: 06/08/05 18:39
Re: Now, THAT is a roster shot!
Author: fbe

I understand there was some cooperation from MRL and Montana Rockies officials at the site to insure the photo would be roster perfect. Also, FT has had a lot of experience.

If you think it doesn't look like a true SP F7 from the outside, wait until that old retired SP hogger gets a look at the control stand and air brake apparatus inside the cab!

Date: 06/08/05 18:42

px320 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well photobob, it'll just have to do until someone
> spends the money to fix a real one.

Send your money into the GGRM f-unit fund!!! I wish there was as much interest in the real black widows. Here's 6380 which wasn't drawing too much attention during the big steam doubleheader from a few years ago.

Date: 06/08/05 19:00
The way God intended an SP F to look

X-6249 west rolling downgrade towards Dunsmuir at Azalea in the early 60's. The classic SP numbers in the number boards the great plow and just the right amount of grime. I know they did their best with what they had to work with but dont pass it off as an SP F because it aint even close. Now that they have photos of what is really going to be running on their train they should take the SP photos off their website and post the Canadian diesel in SP attire. I still want to see them pull this thing off on the McCloud with the time schedule they have posted.

Date: 06/08/05 19:05
Re: The way God intended an SP F to look

That's what I'm wondering Bob. I'll start taking bets from anyone who thinks the TUT special will go on the ground in McCloud! At least the big foamers can go over the the candy store if they get hungry.

Date: 06/08/05 19:14
Author: mp140

Geez, give them credit for at least going this far... only the rivet counters would notice such details. To the untrained eye it looks like any Black Widow F unit, and I'm sure that's going to be good enough for the majority of foamers that will be riding on this upcoming trip. Besides, it'll beat shooting UP yellow or another Amtrak unit. Look on the bright side for a freaking change.

Date: 06/08/05 19:34

I did give them credit for what they did. Im just saying that they shouldnt advertise this train on their website as having a real SP F unit on it. Im sure the foamers will have a great time chasing it and anything beats chasing yellow.

Date: 06/08/05 19:37
Author: spnudge

You have got it right. Its nice, but I don't remember the Fs that way.

Put both lights up there and thats what it should be.

Nudge

Date: 06/08/05 19:38

If we had a light assembly to install we would, but we don't so we can't.

Date: 06/08/05 20:21
Author: FT

To fbe,

This wasn't a spot job for the roster. I began the day before just missing it on its
way off the OT and up to Pasco. They burried the train in the yard and it left just as the sun set. Next AM I left from Pasco, went to shoot the Columbia Basin at Warden, then
got a call from another fan reporting it was to be set out near Sandpoint,ID. I drove
till about 4 PM to the MRL connection and then had to wait about an hour for the sun to swing around to perfect light. Cost more than a tank of gas, but what the heck, it was
less than $2 a gallon then.

Keith A

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0729 seconds