Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > La Veta Passenger Special

Date: 06/08/05 17:06
La Veta Passenger Special
Author: bnsfjordan

The four passenger cars for the La Veta Passenger Special departed La Junta on the Pueblo Local earlier this afternoon. I chased it for about 25 miles, and here are a few of the pics.

Pueblo Local at Swink, CO

Date: 06/08/05 17:09
Re: La Veta Passenger Special

The local had two cars to drop off and two to pick up at Western Sugar in Rocky Ford. Here the conductor backs the cars down the spur.

Date: 06/08/05 17:10

The power backing down the spur.

Date: 06/08/05 17:13

And lastly, the reason I gave chase.

Date: 06/08/05 18:37
Author: Evan_Werkema

bnsfjordan Wrote:

> And lastly, the reason I gave chase.

Sheee-ooot, boy! A local powered by a GP60M and a rebuilt GP7 is worth a chase, passenger cars or no passenger cars!

Date: 06/08/05 19:18
Author: espeeboy

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bnsfjordan Wrote:
>
> > And lastly, the reason I gave chase.
>
> Sheee-ooot, boy! A local powered by a GP60M and a
> rebuilt GP7 is worth a chase, passenger cars or no
> passenger cars!

Sheee-ooot, heck yeah, I can't remember ever seeing a GP60M lashed up with a GP7U or a GP9U! Howz the post graduate life treating ya Evan?

Date: 06/08/05 19:43
Author: El4Short

You guys beat me to it -- I was drooling over that sweet GP60M even before I saw the GP7 . . . what passenger cars?? :-)

I can't believe it's been 15 years since I was shooting the 100-class on their first trains into Southern Cal.

El

Date: 06/08/05 20:39

For those fascinated with the power, here's a slightly better view of the GP7 taken yesterday.

Date: 06/08/05 21:45
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I don't know how many times I have driven through Rocky Ford and checked these tracks to see if there had been activity, and never saw any. I knew it was used but this is the first time I have ever seen it, even photos qualify on this one.
Like others, I'd have to take a loan out to ride the PV though.

Date: 06/08/05 22:23
Author: grande473

The cars arrived at Pueblo about 7 p.m. and stayed in the BNSF yard until almost 9 p.m. when they were interchanged with some cement cars to the UP. The UP switchman told me there was a discussion on where to put them on the Walsenburg local. The Tioga Pass, which would have been the last car, has no provisions for the FRED. They may be pulled headend.
The Caritas was the last car on the BNSf move, but I didn't notice any FRED.
The group toured our museum this morning before riding the Royal Gorge train. They were not allowed to ride the cars in freight service.
The group was counting on staying in their cars tonight but I don't think that happened sinc the cars weren't due to arrive until way after midnight.
They will be riding over La Veta Pass to Antonito to ride the Cumbres & Toltec. Then they will go to Center on the San Luis Central before returning.

Date: 06/08/05 23:19
Author: dan

anyone know the freqs for rail america thru the valley and La Veta? Tried to get down friday but blueie lost a tranny seal and my goldie is still receiving 3k of work. any guess on the times for satleaving antonito, alamosa sunday? Show us some pics! pleeze thks buddy, crying in my soup..

Date: 06/09/05 10:47
Author: 72368

The Tioga Pass can mount a FRED. There is a bracket that attaches to the coupler, and then the FRED mounts to that bracket. It's a bit confusing (and heavy!), but it works...

Date: 06/09/05 17:47
Rail America Frequency
Author: cozephyr

They use channel 45, 160.785. The friendly crew had fun with their "Cannonball Express" on Thursday, June 9, 2005. The train stopped up on La Veta Pass, unloaded passengers and everyone enjoyed the La Veta Pass loop photo opportunity about 11:30 AM.

There was a fine looking lady (in her 20's?) chasing the train. Her friends commented she made some comment about foamers. Turns out she's the engineer's sweetheart (doing the photos with what looked like a nice digital camera). Needless to say, I didn't get a name.

RailAmerica's San Luis & Rio Grande operated the 4-car passenger special with HATX GP40 804 and 805. They're the units still painted for Rocky Mountaineer Railtours (the Canadian operation). Looks like everyone (about 37 passengers) were having a grand time.

Last passenger special was operated by the Illini Railroad Club (is that the proper name?) back in 1966 over the La Veta Pass line then operated by Denver & Rio Grande Western RR. Yes, its been almost 40 years since an occupied passenger car visited this obscure Colorado line.

Date: 06/09/05 20:01
FRED
Author: grande473

The UP switch crew and carman were confused about the FRED. They weren't used to handling this type of equipment down here.

Date: 09/26/15 05:27
Re: FRED
Author: dcfbalcoS1

They shouldn't be confused about such a thing, that is their job.

Date: 09/26/15 09:02
Re: FRED
Author: trkspd

Seriously? I guess you are the perfect railroader then, huh?

And this is a 10 year old thread btw...

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>            They shouldn't be confused
> about such a thing, that is their job.

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0654 seconds