Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Steam & Excursion > Great Western / Strasburg 90 - A Russian decapod?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/24/08 14:54
Great Western / Strasburg 90 - A Russian decapod?
Author: john1082

I saw an article today on GW 90 and was wondering if it was one of the Russian 2-10-0 locomotives?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 09/24/08 15:33
Re: Great Western / Strasburg 90 - A Russian decapod?
Author: flash34

I don't think so, because I think the term Russian decapods referred to the Frisco's 2-10-0's. Someone else might know for sure.
AFAIK, the GW 90 was a one of a kind on that road, them having many more 2-8-0's, although I could be wrong about that.

Date: 09/24/08 15:45
Author: m1bprr

Strasburg #90 came from the Great Western RR. in Colorado, a line which hauled sugar beets, among other things.

Black River & Western's #60 came from the same road.

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 09/24/08 15:50
Author: rehunn

The Russian wide gaugers were totally different locomotives.

Date: 09/24/08 15:53
Author: nycman

Hey Ed, do you know the status of BR&W 60 these days?

Date: 09/24/08 16:37
Author: ebt17rlh

The Russians were 51" locos that were never delivered to Russia because of the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917. The locos were 5' gauge. They were fitted with new tires that allow them to operate on American standard gauge. During WWI they were distributed to several railroad including the Erie, Seaboard, ACL, Frisco and other lines. In the 1920s Seaboard and other lines went to Baldwin for an improved model with 56" drivers. This is what the GW loco was. These lasted on the Seaboard until the end of steam. The Gainesville Midland in Georgia operated them until 1959. Photo is the Last Stream Train in Georgia 1959 fan trip shows GM 203.
rlh

Date: 09/24/08 16:46
Author: HighIronAl

There are a couple of videos on the market showing the Gainsville Midland RR running these Baldwin light 2-10-0's running along nicely at 60 mph.

Very cool!

-Al

Date: 09/24/08 20:58
Author: Ardenwood

This is L, one of 2-10-0's in Russia, wide gauge. Genealogically it is
probably more related to Chinese 2-10-2's, and not at all to ex-GW #90.

Date: 09/24/08 21:32
Russian decapod story
Author: Westbound

I still remember the incident in the 1950s in which a guy called in to his employer's office, stating he could not come to work that day because he "had a case of the Russian decapods" (planning to see and photograph several). One of his co-workers remarked in sympathy that "there must not be any cure for that." The "sick" guy's response was that he was right - there was none!

Date: 09/25/08 05:00
Re: Russian decapod story
Author: NYCSTL8

These non-Russian light Decs were often referred to as "Sports Models," to differentiate them from the Ruskies. IIRC, the GM operated both versions. Also, the only new loco delivered in 1933 by any of the Big 3 steam builders was a Baldwin "Sports Model" for--I think--the Durham and Southern, a road which also ran these things at 60 mph. The Brits even had 60"-drivered Decs built for passenger service.

Date: 09/25/08 06:31
Author: m1bprr

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Ed, do you know the status of BR&W 60 these
> days?

The 60 is currently being rebuilt completely at the BR&W. No steam up day yet.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 09/25/08 10:21
Author: ATSF429

I believe the 2-10-0 at IRM is a Russian Decapod.

Date: 09/25/08 12:17

Yes, the ex-Frisco engine at IRM is a Russian. After its SLSF days, it worked for Eagle-Picher Mining. There is not much left today of Picher, OK, once a thriving mining town. Lots of waste by-products left from the mining days, and very few people. Another example of the big price we have all paid and continue to pay for many of our Industrial Era practices.

Date: 09/25/08 17:26
Author: john1082

Thanks gang

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 09/25/08 19:23
Re: Russian decapod story
Author: airbrakegeezer

NYCSTL8 Wrote:
The Brits even had 60"-drivered Decs built for
> passenger service.

Ummmm -- not quite. The British Railways standard 2-10-0s were classified "9F", where the "F" stands for "Freight". Not that they didn't haul passenger trains on some occasions -- especially heavy "holiday specials" -- but they were definitely *designed* (and built) as heavy freight locomotives. If they had been built for passenger service, they would have had a "9P" classification, and for mixed traffic (dual service), they would have been "9MT".

Date: 09/25/08 20:27
Author: LarryDoyle

m1bprr Wrote:
> The 60 is currently being rebuilt completely at
> the BR&W. No steam up day yet.
> Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Don't often see an LA6-P independent brake valve on a steam engine. Surely, an afterthought.

Date: 09/26/08 13:05

I believe the 9F's were designed with pass. service in mind, also. There was a news item in TRAINS circa 1960 about the final member of the class, "Evening Star," which, IIRC, mentioned both pass. service and the 90 mph capability of these 60"-drivered locos. Hard to imagine a 60" Decapod making 90 per, but a loco reference book I have confirms what I recall reading in the mag all those years ago, namely that the 9F's were, indeed, designed for 90 mph running, which would indicate that pass. service was envisioned for these Decs.

Date: 09/26/08 15:58
Author: LIL_BUDDY

Don't often see an LA6-P independent brake valve on a steam engine. Surely, an afterthought.

I seem to remember it originally having an 8-ET brake system.

Date: 09/26/08 16:42
Author: flash34

LIL_BUDDY Wrote:
> Don't often see an LA6-P independent brake valve
> on a steam engine. Surely, an afterthought.
>
> I seem to remember it originally having an 8-ET
> brake system.

That could be, but it also seems strange to me that an engine like this would have been built with 8-ET, unless it's newer than I think it is. If it WAS, I can see a conversion like it has, because parts and gaskets can still be gotten for the #6 air and it's variations, where with the #8 you are pretty much out of luck.

Also, does anybody have any pictures, diagrams, or any info at all on the Westinghouse 10-ET schedule? I haven't found anything anywhere, only mention of it having existed.

Scott Gordon
MRSR

Date: 09/26/08 19:30
Author: airbrakegeezer

NYCSTL8 Wrote:
> I believe the 9F's were designed with pass.
> service in mind, also. There was a news item in
> TRAINS circa 1960 about the final member of the
> class, "Evening Star," which, IIRC, mentioned both
> pass. service and the 90 mph capability of these
> 60"-drivered locos. Hard to imagine a 60" Decapod
> making 90 per, but a loco reference book I have
> confirms what I recall reading in the mag all
> those years ago, namely that the 9F's were,
> indeed, designed for 90 mph running, which would
> indicate that pass. service was envisioned for
> these Decs.

I wasn't able to read TRAINS on a regular basis until about 1967, so I never saw that news item; however, I do know that the 9Fs, to quote several U.K. sources "showed a surprising turn of speed", because they were very well balanced. As soon as I can reach him, I plan to ask a friend (not a TO subscriber) who worked in the Development/Testing department of BR in the '50s-early '60s; I think he should have a pretty good handle on the subject. Unfortunately (for me, anyway!), he is away for the weekend, so it will be Monday at the earliest.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.074 seconds