Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > Camp 6 - Sale Is Finalized - Our Press Release

Date: 09/28/11 14:18
Camp 6 - Sale Is Finalized - Our Press Release
Author: LoggerHogger

After months of working on this project we can now go public with what we did to liquidate Camp 6 in Point Defiance Park in Tacoma. Here is the press release we issued this afternoon.

Martin

Camp 6 Logging Equipment Sold to Collector
The owners of the Camp 6 Logging Museum in Tacoma, Washington have sold the trains, logging equipment, and other pieces of equipment to a collector who is a founder of the Roots of Motive Power Inc., a logging history museum located in Willits, California.
The Western Forest Industries Museum (WFIM), which owns Camp 6, had searched for a person or organization to restore and maintain Camp 6 within Point Defiance Park. When no such entity was found, WFIM began a search for entities that could undertake the task of moving and preserving the historic logging artifacts of Camp 6. The WFIM board feels fortunate to have found a purchaser that can take responsibility for ensuring the artifacts are well cared for.
The board was pleased to find Chris Baldo because he values railroad memorabilia and is genuinely interested in preserving the equipment to the extent possible, said WFIM spokesman Alan Macpherson.
Baldo said that much of the Camp 6 historic logging equipment will go to the Roots of Motive Power Museum collection in Willits. A few pieces will be retained by the Western Forest Industries Museum, which owned the Camp 6 equipment and also owns the Mount Rainier Scenic Railway. Some artifacts will remain in Mr. Baldo’s personal collection, and some pieces will be made available to other logging and railroad history museums in the Pacific Northwest and to other individuals and companies interested in the long-term preservation of the history of the timber industry.
Chris Baldo has been involved in the lumber business since 1973, starting his career with a short stint with the Weyerhaeuser Company in Raymond, Washington. Mr. Baldo currently is a co-owner of Willits Redwood Company, a redwood sawmill. Mr. Baldo is an avid collector and operator of steam railroad and logging equipment.
The Western Forest Industries Museum (WFIM) closed the historic logging museum in Point Defiance Park, Tacoma last winter after dwindling revenues led to insufficient funds to operate the museum and maintain the equipment.
WFIM leases property in Point Defiance Park from Metro Parks for a nominal amount. That lease is set to expire in late 2012 when the collection has been relocated.
WFIM established the Camp 6 Logging Museum in 1964 as a living, hands-on demonstration of logging and railroad history from the 1880s through the 1940s.
###

Date: 09/28/11 17:17
Re: Camp 6 - Sale Is Finalized - Our Press Release
Author: patd3985

So Martin... Who gets the KL&L #7?.. I rode that engine in 1962 with my Dad, Jack Holst, and "Murph". (They were also long for the ride!) I'll never forget the old car seat they had on the tender for "cash customers"! My dad got to fire a bit that day, and do some switching up on "the hill"! Old Elmer was at his best on the whistle cord too! Damn! Those were the good old days!

Date: 09/28/11 20:44
Re: Camp 6 - Sale Is Finalized - Our Press Release
Author: asheldrake

Thanks for your posting and press release Martin. Sure sounds to me like the best is being made of the demise
of Camp 6. Arlen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds