Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Steam & Excursion > Durango & Silverton - Cinco Animas car

Date: 02/28/12 05:54
Durango & Silverton - Cinco Animas car
Author: Winks

My girl friend and I will be riding in this car in July. Any comments on how it is? I assume the car has a bar for some beverages. We have 2 seats in the rear section.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Date: 02/28/12 07:44
Re: Durango & Silverton - Cinco Animas car
Author: The_Chief_Way

the scenery is best viewed from the open cars.

you're paying a premium for the fancy surroundings

Date: 02/28/12 08:54
Author: tomkat

You will really enjoy the ride and the view and the rare opportunity to sit in style on the open back platform. Did this in 2010 with my buddy and had a blast.

Date: 02/28/12 09:16
Author: train671

One of the best things about this car is the open observation platform where you can stand outside and enjoy the view. Very nice
place to be when you "creep" around the beginning of the high line and then over the high bridge with the Animas river raging
right under the train. The service was very good when I rode this car a couple of years ago. A wonderful way to spend a day
in one of the most scenic places in the USA. By the way, when you ride in this car and are on the open platform you will be
able to get some great pics of the entire train and engine. One of the best spots is after you pass through Rockwood (heading
towards Silverton)and then pass thru the narrow "cut" then about 5 minutes after that you will want to have your camera out so you
can get a great shot of the steam engine slowly making a wide turn and approaching the high line with the Animas River about 800
feet below you. Usually once the engine passes thru this area they drain steam out and on a sunny day there is often a great
rainbow by the engine that makes for a great souvenir photo to have of your "ride on the D & S." On the day you ride your train
check the train schedule and see if there are other trains that have left before your departure time. If so then when you approach
Silverton watch to see where those trains are. After you arrive then those trains will back into town and pick up passengers and
then head back to Durango. If you want a pic of one of those trains passing by the picturesque Silverton Train Depot then you will
want to get off your train and walk over to the Depot (about five blocks) and then wait for the train to pass by. Most of the time
you will have plenty of time to get that shot plus wander back into town and enjoy the unique town of Silverton. Your car attendant will advise you how much time you will have there in Silverton which I believe is close to two hours. Hope you have a great ride. If you have time you might also enjoy a ride on the Cumbres & Toltec out of Chama and/or the train ride over La Veta Pass departing out of Alamosa, Colorado (they sometimes run steam too). Durango is about 90 miles from Chama. Durango is about 150 miles.

Date: 02/28/12 09:19
Author: Grande-Fan

It is a very nice car to ride in, enjoy it!
Nathan Z.

Date: 02/28/12 09:19
Author: NebraskaZephyr

If you're going to spend the $$ for a higher-class accomodation, I would suggest riding the Silver Vista, the dome car recreated by D&SNG in 2006 to replicate the original car built by D&RGW. It tends to run on the 9:15 AM departure out of Durango. to say it is WELL worth the extra fare is an understatement.

For variety (and because clouds and rain can blow up in the afternoons in the mountains and the Silver Vista is wide open on the sides) ride the Cinco Animas or one of the other enclosed parlor cars on the return trip. With the one-way/bus return option typically a few seats open up for the trip south. You may have to ride a different train than the one you came north on, adjusting your stay in Silverton accordingly.

We did exactly this on our September 2011 trip. This option (up on one, back on another) is not on the menu for online bookings, but if you call the 800 number and speak with someone they will gladly help set you up.

There was no extra charge for doing this, although the two one-way fares may differ, in our case $10 more on the return trip for the obs car.

Attached is a photo aboard the Silver Vista on our northbound trip and two from the rear platform of the obs car on the return.

As the Animals once sang (about San Francisco, but applicable here): "Save up all your bread....it will be worth it, if only for your own peace of mind."

NZ

Date: 02/28/12 11:24
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I highly recommend the open cars in July. Last summer we rode the open car to Silverton, and the enclosed glass dome back to Durango.

Mrs Argyle and I both much preferred the open car. The train trip is all about the scenery, not on being pampered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/12 12:26 by ArgyleEagle.

Date: 02/28/12 12:24
Author: Winks

I should have mentioned that I have ridden the open cars 3 times, Alamosa twice, and wanted to do the Cinco.

I appreciate the comments.

Thanks for the feedback.

Date: 02/28/12 12:44
Author: The_Chief_Way

OK, that's different

Date: 02/28/12 13:17
Author: RNinRVR

I am already booked in seat 12 on the Cinco for 7/6/12 round trip to Silverton. Also have tickets to ride the Goose on the C&TS 4th of July evening trains for the BBQ diner at Cumbres and fireworks after. This will be my dream trip to get to ride both operations. I am doing C&TS is both directions. I tried to book the Silver Vista when I made my reservations and it was not available for the dates that I am going to be in Durango, so the second day I am in the ALAMOSA PARLOR CAR seat 16.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/12 13:21 by RNinRVR.

Date: 02/28/12 16:40
Author: SantaFe

NebraskaZephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're going to spend the $$ for a higher-class
> accomodation, I would suggest riding the Silver
> Vista, the dome car recreated by D&SNG in 2006 to
> replicate the original car built by D&RGW. It
> tends to run on the 9:15 AM departure out of
> Durango. to say it is WELL worth the extra fare is
> an understatement.
>
> For variety (and because clouds and rain can blow
> up in the afternoons in the mountains and the
> Silver Vista is wide open on the sides) ride the
> Cinco Animas or one of the other enclosed parlor
> cars on the return trip. With the one-way/bus
> return option typically a few seats open up for
> the trip south. You may have to ride a different
> train than the one you came north on, adjusting
> your stay in Silverton accordingly.
>
> We did exactly this on our September 2011 trip.
> This option (up on one, back on another) is not on
> the menu for online bookings, but if you call the
> 800 number and speak with someone they will gladly
> help set you up.
>
> There was no extra charge for doing this, although
> the two one-way fares may differ, in our case $10
> more on the return trip for the obs car.
>
> Attached is a photo aboard the Silver Vista on our
> northbound trip and two from the rear platform of
> the obs car on the return.
>
> As the Animals once sang (about San Francisco, but
> applicable here): "Save up all your bread....it
> will be worth it, if only for your own peace of
> mind."
>
> NZ
I have to totally concur. This car by far is the coolest one in the fleet if you're wanting to enjoy the scenery

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/28/12 18:51
Author: NebraskaZephyr

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I highly recommend the open cars in July. Last
> summer we rode the open car to Silverton, and the
> enclosed glass dome back to Durango.
>
> Mrs Argyle and I both much preferred the open car.
> The train trip is all about the scenery, not on
> being pampered.

The Silver Vista is every bit as open on the sides as the converted boxcars and has open platforms on both ends especially designed for use by photographers, i.e., they are not for entrance or exit. It actually could be a bit nasty to ride in a wind-blown rain.

As for the pampering, Mrs. NebraskaZephyr is not much of a railfan. I find her much more tolerant of train rides when someone is handing her a beverage and snacks. :-)

Did I mention the day we rode the D&SNG was our wedding anniversary? That extra fare was money well spent, I'd say...

NZ

Date: 02/29/12 19:01
Author: steamfuhrer

Cinco was always my favorite business car, but my favorite "first class service" car was always the Silver Vista, as was mentioned earlier. Although, riders in the Vista are always prone to deal with inclement weather. When it rains, it usually pours in the Aminas Canyon and Vista can get COLD. Least favorite would definitely be the Rio Grande. I would rather ride in a standard gon than the Grande.

Date: 03/01/12 07:05
Re: D & S - Silver Vista car
Author: soundman

If you ride in either of the two "Vista" cars, you should have some sun protection. You can burn easier at that altitude, and you are exposed for a long time even with clouds.

Date: 03/01/12 10:02
Author: Normanroger

In Cinco you have a full time attendant/narrator. He will serve free drinks, sell souvenirs, etc. My wife and I were in seats # 1 and 2. You are right on the river going to Silverton. Reserve left side seats going north bound if you can. We took the bus back because of a time factor. Great outing. Not much in Silverton, but the great thing is the train ride.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0825 seconds