Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Steam & Excursion > Long Mallet With Long Logs - Rayonier 2-6-6-2 #14!

Date: 09/13/12 05:52
Long Mallet With Long Logs - Rayonier 2-6-6-2 #14!
Author: LoggerHogger

The date is June 1, 1961 and famed Northwest Photographer Al Farrow has taken the day off from the NP where he is an engineer to visit the logging railroad operations of Rayonier Inc.

Al has gone out to the site of the newly rebuilt Prairie River Bridge to wait for the slowly plodding Mallet #14 to appear out of the trees and across the structure. Al follows the train with his camera after the big 2-6-6-2 has crossed the bridge and captures this wonderful profile of the logging lokie in action with her train of long logs bound for the dump at New London.

The reason the Prairie River Bridge was rebult was to accomodate the Diesels that Rayonier was about to purchase that would finally silence #14 and her sister engines forever at Rayonier. While several of the Rayonier leam lokies were preserved and operated again on tourist lines, Mallet #14 languished in Railroad Camp until 1968 when the Camp was torn down and she was scrapped. Her Tender surives today at the PLA in Niles Canyon and her smoke stack is in my front yard.

We all wish she was still hauling her log loads out of the forests down to the log dump.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/12 06:00 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/13/12 15:24
Re: Long Mallet With Long Logs - Rayonier 2-6-6-2 #14!
Author: Sasquatch

Sweet shot Martin! That hill in the background looks like the one at Mineral Yard. Helps me visualize what a logging mallet will look like on the MRSR when I win the lottery ha ha ha!

--Tom

Date: 09/16/12 18:21
Author: 567Chant

Back in the day, had I known, I would have coaxed and goaded my Pop to make a safari here...
- and he probably would have complied!
...Lorenzo

Date: 09/18/12 18:41
Author: patd3985

567Chant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the day, had I known, I would have coaxed
> and goaded my Pop to make a safari here...
> - and he probably would have complied!
> ...Lorenzo

Back in the day I didn't need to coax and goad my pop! He was too busy coaxing and goading me! I'm just glad I replied toward the positive! I got to see the end of Rayonier steam with my dad!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds