Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Steam & Excursion > Porter Steam Locomotive Book

Date: 09/12/12 20:25
Porter Steam Locomotive Book
Author: wabash2800

Does anyone have a copy of the book that the Kalmbach Memorial Library put out? Are there any locos listed for the Wabash Portland Cement Company? This outfit had some Three-Foot-Gauge saddle tankers but I do not have any idea of the details or who built them.

Date: 09/12/12 20:56
Re: Porter Steam Locomotive Book
Author: px320

I have an original 1889 Porter catalogue. Was the engine you are asking about built prior to that date?

Date: 09/13/12 10:49

Thanks for the reply. The Wabash Portland Cement Company went into operation at Stroh, Indiana in 1900. it modernized in 1916 but went out of business in the early 40s. There are various photos of their little saddle-tank, three-foot gauge 0-4-0s taken over the years, with both steel and wood cabs. I have a notion to look for chattel records this week. Some of the equipment was moved to their Osborn, Ohio location but I don't know if any locos went. Reportedly, there is some track and dump cars at the bottom of Big Turkey Lake near where the plant was. There are also reports of a locomotive or locomotives in the lake too but I believe that to be an urban legend.

px320 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an original 1889 Porter catalogue. Was the
> engine you are asking about built prior to that
> date?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/12 10:51 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/14/12 00:21
Author: poffcapt

Go to Abe Books, and type in "Porter Locomotives".

Here is a link that might work.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Porter+Locomotive&sortby=17&sts=t&x=82&y=15

Date: 09/14/12 10:16

Thanks. I know the book can be purchased. I wasn't interested in buying a copy unless there is something the WPCC locos. I thought someone here could answer my question.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds