Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > Welcome Back BR&W #60!

Date: 11/11/12 19:03
Welcome Back BR&W #60!
Author: PennRailVideos

This past weekend, some friends and I headed over to the Black River & Western in Ringoes to ride and chase the first public trips to be pulled by #60 since her 12-year rebuild. Saturday I rode the train, thank goodness because the weather was not all that great for pictures. Dark and cloudy. Sunday was a much better day weather-wise, even getting into the mid-60s! I digress...

I chose to black/white tone many of the pictures from Saturday since the light was about non-existent, and I kind of liked the results.

1. #60 starting up at Three Bridges.

2. Passing the old concrete mill near Copper Hill.

3. #60 at Ringoes.

Date: 11/11/12 19:06
Re: Welcome Back BR&W #60!
Author: Mgoldman

Intermission

Show will resume in 2 seconds...

Date: 11/11/12 19:06

4. My the only shot from Saturday that I kept color... tender first at Toad Lane.

5. And time for bed on Saturday evening.

Sunday morning had us a bit worried... woke up to thick fog. Thankfully it burned off as the morning progressed.

6. Sunday morning, back in Ringoes.

Date: 11/11/12 19:09

Hold on to your hat - there's more to come!

Date: 11/11/12 19:10

7. The 1937-built ALCO product gives the SW a steam bath!

8. Tender-first dead head move up to Flemington, at the Everitt Rd crossing.

9. #60 running around its train at Flemington.

Date: 11/11/12 19:13

Don't worry Mitch, there's more!

10. A roster-shot of this stocky Consolidation. Really is a nice looking engine.

11. #60 backing down to her train. Since the run-around was not clear at Three Bridges, they shoved north (as seen in a previous post) out of Flemington.

12. Shoving past the old CNJ station in Flemington. It's very hard to get a nice picture of the train and the station.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 19:17 by PennRailVideos.

Date: 11/11/12 19:19

13. #60 crossing the south branch of the Raritan River.

14. Coming south through Flemington across Rt 12.

15. Tackling the grade at Copper Hill Rd. She put on a good show here!

Date: 11/11/12 19:21

16. 60 pulling into Ringoes.

17. 60 rounding the curve at Flemington.

18. And saving the best for last, probably one of my best from the weekend - #60 at Toad Lane in the evening sun.

If you chased and didn't buy a ticket, I hope you supported the place somehow. Even if you bought something frivolous in the gift shop - they have a very nice mug. It's the support that will keep 60 running for years to come!

A round of applause should be given to the volunteers who worked tirelessly on #60 for the past decade, and to the rest of the volunteers who keep the railroad a place for families to spend a nice afternoon.

Take care, and I hope y'all enjoyed the pictures!
- Adam C.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 19:26 by PennRailVideos.

Date: 11/11/12 19:36
Author: nycman

Great coverage, you guys! Happy to see BR&W 60 back in steam again. She was one of the first I tried to capture in video back in the 1990s when I discovered that I was a steam nut. I remember going into this meadow, and along came the owner. I told him I did not mean to be trespassing on his property, but I really wanted to film this engine. He thanked me for asking for permission, saying most don't, and let me stay there to film 60.

Date: 11/11/12 20:55

Nice shots, Adam!

/Mitch

Date: 11/12/12 05:43
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting these. Both your sepia-tinted and color images turned out well. There were so many good images that it would be hard to pick a favorite, but # 60 on the bridge stands out for me.
Bob

Date: 11/14/12 12:54
Author: YG

Great photos - must have been a "heckuva" weekend!

Thanks to the dedicated folks who worked so hard to bring this locomotive back to life.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds