Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Steam & Excursion > One awesome Pacific

Date: 12/02/12 19:52
One awesome Pacific
Author: OKTrainboys

Top Gear should do a show on this pacific, Duke of Gloucester ....the most powerful pacific in England....and what a technology and restoration marvel.

Date: 12/02/12 21:21
Re: One awesome Pacific
Author: lowwater

Thanks -- reminds me that, for those old heads who even know what usenet is, one can find lots of old and new steam pics, from all around the world, at alt.binaries.pictures.rail. It does take a little work, since most pics there are diesel and/or modern electric, but most posters honor the request to label pics with "steam" so they can be found.

Date: 12/03/12 08:10
Author: Macster

And one can go over to the UK and operate her as well when she isn't on tour. $700 US...

Date: 12/03/12 10:56
Author: Starship_Conductor

What's on the other end? Look's like another steam engine.

Date: 12/03/12 12:09
Author: OKTrainboys

I think It is a black5.....East lancanshire railway (ELR) is mostly a push pull operation.

Date: 12/03/12 17:21
Author: 6ET

And she is a poppet valve engine!

Date: 12/03/12 22:56
Author: DNRY122

That is an impressive engine! How tall are the drivers? Looks like about a dozen "chuffs" and she'd have the train well out of town. And thanks for confirming the poppet valve installation--I was about to ask. Even a traction fan like me has to admire a restoration job like this.

Date: 12/04/12 08:53
Author: CPRR

As much as i would like to see it on Top Gear, I do not think that Jeremy after shoveling coal on the Tornado from London to Edinburgh will want to do it again.....

Great locomotive......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds