Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Steam & Excursion > Crosset Western #10 Coming Back To Life!

Date: 04/05/13 09:40
Crosset Western #10 Coming Back To Life!
Author: LoggerHogger

Luke Johnson just sent me this photo of the progress he and his crew have made on bringing Crossett Western #10 back to life after years of dispute driven dormancy.

#3 driver has be returned to the engine along with the other parts that were removed during the dispute.

She should be back in steam on Chelatchie Prairie Railroad. Good news. Well done Luke.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/13 09:41 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/05/13 12:10
Re: Crosset Western #10 Coming Back To Life!
Author: Western_Star

Excellent! I rode behind that loco years ago, and particularly loved the whistle. Being only 40 minutes away from this operation I can't wait for the return of steam

Date: 04/05/13 13:14
Author: YG

Good news indeed!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 04/05/13 17:10
Author: AdamPhillips

Martin,

How did you get the tank off? Does the shop have an overhead crane or did you use a fork lift?

Date: 04/05/13 17:15

No need to take the tank off. She is still under her current Form-4. This was just reassmbly of removed parts and some work on the lateral.

Martin

Date: 04/05/13 17:59
Author: AdamPhillips

Doesn't the tank cover the staybolt caps? How long has it been since the last 1472?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/13 19:09 by AdamPhillips.

Date: 04/05/13 20:20
Author: GCRY_4960

You beat me to posting the photo Martin.

The crew in the photo is as follows: Victoria, Dedra, Luke, Dan, myself and Glen. Not photoed but have contributed work to the engine are Rick, Dan, Larry, and Will.

The brake rigging and the rods on the fireman side went on today. Still have quite a bit left to do, but making a lot of progress everyday.

Jeff Davis
Crossett Western Co. #10 Steam Crew

Date: 04/06/13 09:29
Author: rehunn

Tank looks to just miss the staybolts.

Date: 04/06/13 22:33
Re: Crossett Western #10 Coming Back To Life!
Author: Jim700

It's great to see the engine returning to service. Thanks to the BYCX Board of Directors and members for having the determination to overcome the obstacles of the past few years to bring the engine back to life and thanks to Luke and the others who are doing the work.

You can view a brief video taken from the cab of #10 and of it emerging from the tunnel in "The View From My Office" that I posted six years ago at:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1368640,1368640#msg-1368640.

I really miss not being able to be a part of this "bringing back to life" but with my wife's health rapidly deteriorating in her fifth year of Alzheimer's Disease my opportunities to be away from home to volunteer on the BYCX, PRPA and MRSR are greatly diminished.

Date: 04/07/13 06:34

Jim,

Sorry you and your wife are going through this. You are missed and we hope to see you when you have the chance.

Martin

Date: 04/07/13 15:56
Author: rehunn

Jim, I certainly will echo Martin's sentiment, the disease is possibly
the worst thing that could happen toward the end of life.

Date: 04/07/13 16:49

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry you and your wife are going through this.

Thank you, Martin and rehunn. It's a challenge but certainly nothing new to us as both my mother and mother-in-law died of Alzheimer's. While Alyce's very short short-term memory and spatially-related problems render her no longer able to drive, read, write, dress herself, prepare food or do so many other things, we are still so very blessed that the most important part, her ability to interact socially with people, remains nearly untouched.

Being realistic and knowing the general pattern of the disease, short of a rather near-term medical breakthrough or a miracle we're well aware of the surely sooner rather than later outcome. While I will feel totally lost without my beautiful bride of now 427 months and 18 days, our faith in the risen Christ as revealed in His Word assures us of a much better life on the other side of our physical death in this world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/13 16:54 by Jim700.

Date: 04/07/13 17:12

Jim,

We will keep you and your lovely wife in our prayers.

Martin

Date: 04/07/13 18:12
Author: sp5623

Jim
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.
Howard

Date: 04/08/13 15:13
Author: nycman

Jim, my prayers join the others. I ran across this shot taken at MRSR from the cab of No. 10's twin, Hammond 17 in 2009. You are "framed" as it were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/13 15:14 by nycman.

Date: 04/09/13 01:39

Thank you all for your concern and prayers which are so much appreciated.

Thanks for the picture, Jim; the two engines are so operationally similar except for the opposite direction cylinder cock levers. I'll be curious to see if the 17 returns to service with the bicycle speedometer seen in the picture which had quit operating during the last season I ran it before it went down for its FRA renewal. Near end of its life it would malfunction frequently and had to be reset. I still have the reset code 3471 stored in my notes in my cell phone.

Martin, I apologize for having effectively hijacked your discussion thread. That was not my intention. I should have left out the last sentence of my first post.

Date: 04/09/13 05:04

Jim,

No apologies needed. This board should be about people as much as the equipment they work on. We will all now have you in our prayers.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0903 seconds