Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Steam & Excursion > DM&IR "Faux-Oh-Three"

Date: 09/10/13 20:20
DM&IR "Faux-Oh-Three"
Author: NebraskaZephyr

After a wonderful ride to Two Harbors behind Soo 2719/"DM&IR 403" on Friday 9/6 ("Two Tickets To Two Harbors"), I went back downtown Saturday morning to try and get a couple of shots not possible from the train before pointing the trusty Impala toward Illinois and home.

Since I stayed on the sunny (east) side of the train, all these shots are of 2719's alter ego, the "DM&IR 403":

1. Coming up from the enginehouse to tie onto the train. Saturday's train was MUCH larger than Friday's edition and featured the DM&IR office car NORTHLAND (at right), which would be right behind the loco going north but carry the markers southbound.

2. Cleared the switch and ready to tie on. Believe it or not, I shot this out my car window from the parking lot!

3. She's "on her air" and will soon move up to board passengers. My cue to get out of the parking lot before I get hemmed in by a double-parked 4-6-2!

NZ

Date: 09/10/13 20:42
Re: DM&IR "Faux-Oh-Three"
Author: SooLine700

Not to keep chiming in on your posts but I wanted to point out that the 2719's headlight was swapped out and a headlight from a DM&IR steamer put in its place. The light was borrowed for this railfan weekend from the Duluth &Northeastern 28, former Missabe 2-8-0 332 which is currently undergoing restoration up at the Cloquet Terminal's former D&NE shop in Cloquet MN.

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/13 20:43 by SooLine700.

Date: 09/10/13 20:58

Knowing it would take a while for the train to load, back out of the depot and crawl through Canal Park, I didn't go too far north, so Mrs. NZ wouldn't get too antsy waiting for the train. I chose the overpass at S 21st Ave (Exit 258), since it was easy on/easy off of I-35 and had decent space for safely (if not legally) parking close to the overpass.

Not only was I not disappointed at the photo angles, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of hit-n-run motorcaders diving in at the last moment. Just two other fellows with their young sons who wanted nothing more than to watch and wave:

4. This is my "money shot" of the train along the lakewalk. Not the usual angle or location (London Rd. seems to be REAL popular) and I understand the desire of those who wish to avoid the Interstate in the background, but it is what it is and I'm okay with that.

5. A nice 3/4 down-on view of the loco.

6. Even the going-away shot was a pretty good one.

Thanks for looking! If you enjoyed these shots, support the LSRM and the 2719 so we can continue to enjoy these events in the future. I know I'll be back, Lord willing.

NZ

Date: 09/10/13 21:06

SooLine700 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to keep chiming in on your posts but I wanted
> to point out that the 2719's headlight was swapped
> out and a headlight from a DM&IR steamer put in
> its place. The light was borrowed for this railfan
> weekend from the Duluth &Northeastern 28, former
> Missabe 2-8-0 332 which is currently undergoing
> restoration up at the Cloquet Terminal's former
> D&NE shop in Cloquet MN.
>
> Kent

Kent,

No problem. chime away.

Thanks for the info. Too bad mounting it centered per DM&IR practice isn't really feasible.

Maybe when the 28 is done she can make some selected appearances as the 332. THAT would be worth another trip up! (that and dinner at Grandma's)

NZ

Date: 09/10/13 21:22
Author: SooLine700

I am sure heralds and lettering will be made up to change the D&NE 28 back to either DM&IR or DM&N (Duluth Missabe and Northern) 332.

It will be a sight to see the D&NE 28 under steam. It passed the ultra sound inspection on the boiler shell and a fund raising program has been started to purchase flues for the engine.

NebraskaZephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SooLine700 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> Kent,
>
> No problem. chime away.
>
> Thanks for the info. Too bad mounting it centered
> per DM&IR practice isn't really feasible.
>
> Maybe when the 28 is done she can make some
> selected appearances as the 332. THAT would be
> worth another trip up! (that and dinner at
> Grandma's)
>
> NZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/13 05:41 by SooLine700.

Date: 09/11/13 16:53
Author: RuleG

Thanks for posting all of these images. I enjoyed the photos and reading your commentary.

Date: 09/17/13 15:46
Author: ns1000

I LIKE Pic 4!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds