Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Steam & Excursion > Need help dating this.. NKP 759 High Iron trip

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/30/14 18:36
Need help dating this.. NKP 759 High Iron trip
Author: chico

A John Dziobko photo. Iron Horse trip over the famed viaduct of the EL with NKP 759. slide process date is 6/70 but I wonder when and where did this trip run.. would love to pin it down-dates and locations.

anyone? led by NKP 759.

slide #36 in the box is #1 above, the viaduct.
slide #31 in the box is lower photo, from a curve in a cut.

the excursion was a two day affair I believe, the westbound trip prior day (I think this is the eastbound but I'm not qualified in this territory). there are night shots of it taken, probably the previous night.

thanks.
chico

Date: 09/30/14 18:51
Re: Need help dating this.. NKP 759 High Iron trip
Author: Keystone1

Yes, I know exactly where those 2 photos were taken. In fact, John may have been riding in my car on this trip. I'll have to pull out negative envelopes to get the dates. I'll be back to you on this thread.

Date: 09/30/14 19:16
Author: AndyBrown

Oooh, the godfather does it again! Sweet shots and I'll bet the old girl sounded great with that big train.

Andy

Date: 09/30/14 20:31
Author: NKP779

Binghamton was the overnight destination: one way over the Lackawanna and the other way over the Erie. What a combo!

Date: 09/30/14 22:25

This must be Binghamton?

Date: 09/30/14 22:29

the next morning, an abandoned coal tower in an abandoned yard.

location?

Date: 09/30/14 22:35

having fun here, might as well post the first couple of shots on this roll. may help to connect the dots and besides it's fun.

ok, we are at the viaduct, looks like a late afternoon freight, lots of hi cube boxes. EL standard cabs leading, and covered wagons from the Lackawanna fleet push. whatever you may know about this train..please chirp in.

sorry to be working backwards here. hope you enjoy as much as John does showing them.

chico

Date: 10/01/14 03:55
Author: PCCRNSEngr

I think the dates were May 30-31 with the Westbound trip over the Erie and returning on the DL&W.

Date: 10/01/14 04:00
Author: JPB

IIRC, this was a round trip excursion from Hoboken to Binghamton via ex-Erie Delaware River route on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend 1970 with return trip via ex-DL&W Scranton line on Sunday.

Your first photo appears to be at Martins Creek Viaduct on the ex-DL&W mainline (Tunkhannock Viaduct, further south on the DL&W, is much longer/higher and on this day would have had many railfans in the photo as a run-by was conducted there). I'm not sure where your second shot is but given 759 appears to be working hard with its smoke going straight up and there is a signal bridge in the background, I'll guess this location is upgrade on the east side of Scranton. Passenger train speed appears to be 40-45 mph per the yellow sign.

I took some photos on this trip - here are various views along the DL&W main starting with Tunkhannock Viaduct.

Date: 10/01/14 07:53
Author: aehouse

Both photos were taken on Sunday 31 May 1970. Details of the two day trip and locations are supplied by others above. The Saturday trip was Hoboken-Binghamton over the former Erie, the Sunday return trip was over the former Lackawanna.

Passengers and local railfans were treated to a train show at the headquarters hotel in Binghamton on Saturday night 30 May, sponsored by the Susquehanna Valley Chapter NRHS.

A shot of the Sunday trip, eastbound at Foster (Hop Bottom), Pa., on the former DL&W Hallstead-New Milford cutoff.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Author: Keystone1

Coal dock is outside of Binghamton, N.Y.

Author: aehouse

chico Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This must be Binghamton?

Yes. During the Saturday night layover.

Art House

Date: 10/01/14 08:00
Author: ClubCar

All great photos of a great engine and classic passenger cars. Those were great times.

Date: 10/01/14 09:19

Thanks all, I'll upload the other roll separately.

Chico

Date: 10/01/14 12:58
Author: swirsk53

I rode a similar 2 day trip up the Erie from Hoboken to Binghamton and then back from Binghamton over the Lackawanna and the cutoff the next day in June 1072 or so. Power was a Reading T-1 (I think it was 2101 or 2102) in its Delaware & Hudson disguise for the D&H 150th anniversary. Great trip.

Date: 10/01/14 13:32
Author: ClubCar

swirsk53 Wrote:
> I rode a similar 2 day trip up the Erie from
> Hoboken to Binghamton and then back from
> Binghamton over the Lackawanna and the cutoff the
> next day in June 1072 or so. Power was a Reading
> T-1 (I think it was 2101 or 2102) in its Delaware
> & Hudson disguise for the D&H 150th anniversary.
> Great trip.
It was Reading 2102.

Date: 10/01/14 16:53
Author: MJV1988

I'd like to know a little more about the tail car Mountain View? Is it still around? I know rivarossi made an HO model based off that car. I'm guessing it's a former PRR car?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/01/14 17:29
Author: NKP779

As of Memorial Day 2013 (NKP 765 excursions around Horseshoe Curve) it was in the new Railroaders Memorial Museum roundhouse in Altoona.

Date: 10/01/14 20:39
Author: Finderskeepers

What is the third passenger car in the first photo? Looks perfect for 'fanning, not unlike the "sound and fury" car I rode on the Hoboken to Port Jervis runs in 1997

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/02/14 14:18

Finderskeepers Wrote:
> What is the third passenger car in the first
> photo? Looks perfect for 'fanning, not unlike the
> "sound and fury" car I rode on the Hoboken to Port
> Jervis runs in 1997
>
> Posted from iPhone

Finders..

hope this helps..

chico for John D

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0792 seconds