Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Steam & Excursion > Let's Go For A Cab Ride

Date: 11/18/14 09:31
Let's Go For A Cab Ride
Author: LarryDoyle

It's 11 degrees with 6" snow on the ground, and it's only November 18. It's gonna be a l-o-n-g winter.

So, let's go back in time and climb aboard with the fireman on SOO 2719 in Duluth and take a ride to Two Harbors when the scenery was green. Hang on, the ride's a little rough.

-John

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/18/14 17:41
Re: Let's Go For A Cab Ride
Author: Tominde

Rockin and Rolling pretty good. 40mph??? I like that sequence at the out of service crossing to stop and proceed. Do you have any of the crew at work in the cab?

Date: 11/18/14 17:44
Author: Guernsey_Switch

That is an awesome video! Thank you for sharing!

Date: 11/21/14 15:16
Author: Red

Great video indeed! But is this a Pacific, a Mike, a Consolidation, or what? Sorry I'm not more familiar with the Soo Line Roster?

Date: 11/21/14 15:46
Author: LarryDoyle

2719 is a very handsome 4-6-2, with what some would consider a single blemish - the Worthington feedwater heater mounted in a novel location on her pilot deck.

Built by Alco in 1913, she is dimensionally nearly identical to the USRA light Pacifics built 5 years later. She may have served as the pattern for USRA.

The other upgrade evident is her Box-Pok (pronounced "Box Spoke") main driver, which enabled the Soo to place this plaque on her backhead.

Her ride, on 73" drivers, probably improves at a few mph faster that we were going in the video. I'd sure like to find out.

-John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/14 16:07 by LarryDoyle.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds