Home Open Account Help 410 users online

Steam & Excursion > Safety and the 611 excursions

Date: 05/25/15 18:11
Safety and the 611 excursions
Author: hkyman16

Whoever wrote this blurb on the Fireup611 facebook page should be commended. This is perfect and sums up a big issue. From the Fireup611 Facebook page:"BE SAFE!The 611 will once again thunder across Virginia, just as she was born to do.
With the rebirth of the 611 comes legions of rail fans, history buffs and families wanting to experience the joy of seeing this magnificent locomotive in action.
We know that you will follow the 611 throughout Virginia using scanners, social media, smoke signals and listening for the deep baritone whistle. We know that there will be people who will wait trackside and chase her along country roads and major thoroughfares just to catch a glimpse of her.
We get it. We’re excited, too.But, in the name of all that is steam, please be safe. Don't do anything stupid.
Remember this: The entire industry is watching you — and us. On each train pulled by the 611, there will be media and Norfolk Southern leadership. Trackside, there will be local law enforcement and community leaders. Watching from afar will be the insurance and legal industries.
If key decision makers on that train, or sitting trackside, or watching from afar, sees any 611 fan doing anything stupid — like standing on the tracks, or standing too close to the tracks; causing car accidents; hanging out of car windows or from bridges to capture that “perfect” picture; trespassing on private property; not obeying local laws and regulations, etc. — they may decide that the glory of live steam is simply not worth risking lives.YOU, 611 fan, hold the key to steam programs continuing for years to come.
Be safe. Not only does your life depend on it, but the life of 611, and all the other steam locomotives running across the country, depends on it, too.Got it?"

Date: 05/25/15 18:45
Re: Safety and the 611 excursions
Author: Tominde

Amen.  That indeed is one of the best written pages yet.    Will it help?   Who knows.  There is that oft used phrase here...."You can't fix stupid".    Sadly, one aw sh!t ruins a whole bunch of oh wow!     The !% can make or break this whole thing.   Thanks for sharing that here.

Date: 05/25/15 19:04
Author: ProAmtrak

I just can't wait to see the pics of the excursions though!

Date: 05/25/15 22:32
Author: OHCR1551

Good reminder!
Also, watch out for one another, especially if you fan with anyone who has a disability, either physical or mental. A lot of people with autism forget the rules because they get caught up in the moment. They may need a gentle reminder. It's going to be warm when the trip takes place, so take an extra bottle of water and be prepared to share it.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 05/26/15 01:55
Author: ClubCar

Another reminder:  Please wear proper clothes at all times.  We don't want any cinders in eyes, we don't want anyone getting injured riding the trains anywhere.  Ladies remember to wear flat shoes on trips, no high heels of any kind, nor should anybody wear flip-flops or open toe shoes either.  Let's use common sense at all times as the above article has stated.  Please do NOT let anyone ruin it for the rest of us.  Safety First always.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/15 01:57 by ClubCar.

Date: 05/26/15 02:38
Author: austin

In Addition to Hkyman16 post:

If you want that perfect shot at a specific location, plan ahead for that as you primary location to shoot at. Don't try and pull a (certain individual name withheld) photo charter and go for numerous runbys shots. Stand back and WATCH, yes I said WATCH this beauty go by and remember how this country had once seen these locomotives everyday pulling passenger trains. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the beauty and NO Photo is worth the risk of the potential accident or injury to anyone out on the roads EVER. Enjoy what the VMT and Norfolk Southern has agreed to return to public and corporate public relations. Drive safe and wise while out during this 2015 steam season and all others because all it takes is for one stupid incident to occur and the plug can be pulled at any time. Also remember the Photo Line Etiquette at photo locations. If you want a shot and someone is there, Bring your step ladder instead of standing in front of someone. Everyone Be safe and Chase wisely not Wildly...
Enjoy and Keep Steaming on for the younger generation to also enjoy.

Date: 05/26/15 13:48
Author: rev66vette

Best way to avouid all the frustrations that are encountered during chasing trips like this is to buy a ticket and ride them.

Date: 05/26/15 17:34
Author: emd_run8

I totally agree with Austin!  I am finding that trying to take that great picture (which turns out to be ten percent as great as a lot of others) I really can't remember all the other senses relative to the runby.  I think I am going to stand back a little ways, STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN!!
Vintage Tommy in VA. --  one of the very few advantages of being aged..... I've seen and shot it many times in the past, even rode behind it in regular passenger service in the LATE 50's.

Date: 05/26/15 20:28
Author: hkyman16

rev66vette Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Best way to avouid all the frustrations that are
> encountered during chasing trips like this is to
> buy a ticket and ride them.

AMEN to this ^^ I already have a dome ticket for the Cavalier.

Date: 05/28/15 13:54
Author: knotch8

ClubCar Wrote:
> Another reminder:  Please wear proper clothes at
> all times.  We don't want any cinders in eyes, we
> don't want anyone getting injured riding the
> trains anywhere.  Ladies remember to wear flat
> shoes on trips, no high heels of any kind, nor
> should anybody wear flip-flops or open toe shoes
> either.  Let's use common sense at all times as
> the above article has stated.  Please do NOT let
> anyone ruin it for the rest of us.  Safety First
> always.

Cinders?  I wish.  I'm very happy that the steam trains are back, but the legal eagles have clearly had their way with the liability issues.  No open-window cars, no vestibule-riding, no photo run-bys, nothing that gives you the sense of riding behind a steam engine except the muffled whistle through the sealed windows.

Thank you, Norfolk Southern and UP and everyone else who allows steam and diesel excursions to operate.  It's wonderful to expose the public to the joys of passenger trains, especially in a more relaxed setting.  As a Norfolk Southern shareholder, I'm very proud of "my" company for its excursions.  But I do miss the open-window experiences of riding behind mainline steam.

Date: 05/28/15 20:57
Author: NKPBernet

ClubCar Wrote:
> Another reminder:  Please wear proper clothes at
> all times.  We don't want any cinders in eyes, we
> don't want anyone getting injured riding the
> trains anywhere.  Ladies remember to wear flat
> shoes on trips, no high heels of any kind, nor
> should anybody wear flip-flops or open toe shoes
> either.  Let's use common sense at all times as
> the above article has stated.  Please do NOT let
> anyone ruin it for the rest of us.  Safety First
> always.

Does this about cover the safety requirements or is this not quite safe enough.. may need some hearing protection because of the whistle..

Edit: I don't mean to trivialize safety, but mean to bring to attention how absurd some of this sounds, I agree with the common sense statement, but the rest just seems like over-kill...

-Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/15 21:26 by dbesade.

Date: 05/29/15 02:12
Author: austin

Thanks EMD-run 8. I am glad someone else out there agrees the craziness needs to be kept calm or to a minimum, but we all know how that turns out.
Anyone by chance know the AAR channel nos for tomorrows run from Salisbury to Roanoke? or the road frequencies for the radio please.
Thanks in Advance, Austin

Date: 05/29/15 07:35
Author: OHCR1551

You have to remember that a lot of young people (mostly young, anyhow) have never been around moving equipment of any kind. What is obvious to us is not obvious to them. Most of the offenders are women, although shirtless guys in flip-flops do exist. I have seen young women in tube tops, short shorts and flip-flops walking around the pits at racetracks, so they'll be around the engine as well. If you mention it, they'll get mad and yell about being told what to wear...right up until they get burned or trip while they're running.
It's not a fashion statement, it's practicality. Long pants, closed-toe shoes without excessive heels, shirt with sleeves (I don't wear long sleeves unless I'm actually going to be close to whatever's running)--and ordinary sunglasses are usually enough for dust and cinder protection if you're not right in the cab.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 05/29/15 08:31
Author: BNSFDS

OHCR1551 Wrote:
> You have to remember that a lot of young people
> (mostly young, anyhow) have never been around
> moving equipment of any kind. What is obvious to
> us is not obvious to them. Most of the offenders
> are women, although shirtless guys in flip-flops
> do exist. I have seen young women in tube tops,
> short shorts and flip-flops walking around the
> pits at racetracks, so they'll be around the
> engine as well. If you mention it, they'll get mad
> and yell about being told what to wear...right up
> until they get burned or trip while they're
> running.
> It's not a fashion statement, it's practicality.
> Long pants, closed-toe shoes without excessive
> heels, shirt with sleeves (I don't wear long
> sleeves unless I'm actually going to be close to
> whatever's running)--and ordinary sunglasses are
> usually enough for dust and cinder protection if
> you're not right in the cab.

Even though I'm going to be up in Virginia for railfan reasons, I'm still going to be wearing my railroad issued PPE and steel toed boots track side. Safety is one thing us rails practice no matter what the occasion.

BNSFDS

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/02/15 10:56
Author: steam290

I have a ticket on the Cavalier already.  I can't wait. 

I saw some people letting their 3 year old play on the right of way while waiting for the 611 on Saturday.  After the kid planted his face firmly in the balast, they took him away.  The dad was wearing flip-flops... 

Date: 06/02/15 12:44
Author: hoydie17

Smart railfans don't need these types of reminders, because one's own safety is a function of common sense.  Granted, if sense were so common everyone would have it, but the people that their message was meant to deter skipped right over that post, if they saw it at all. 

Bad eggs don't care as long as they get their "cut" of the action. They could care less if they ruin it for anyone else, look at all the chowderheads that were blatantly trespassing on HSC last year for the 765 trips?  Great photos for sure, but you don't think walking by the No Trespassing signs had any impact on their thought process, do you?

Date: 06/02/15 12:44
Author: mdogg

A number of us witnessed a similar incident last year waiting for 765.  We asked nicely that they get their child off the tracks.  Then, they responded with an attitude.  When they realized the number of US vs. them, they got the child off the tracks.  It only takes one stupidity event....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0935 seconds