Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Piper at Dawn

Date: 02/25/17 15:44
A Piper at Dawn
Author: Ardenwood

It was summer of 1986 CN6060 was being ready for her trip to Expo86 in Vancouver.
Picture 1 a tv crew visited the preparation
When I first saw her, she was on static dislay at Jasper.   Harry Home, oiled her every day. 
Picture 2  Harry Home is testing the whistle.
One early morning a lone bagpiper slowly walked around the engine in the engine house playing a solemn tune.  I needed no words to sense that the engine was ready for a long trip.
Picture 3 and she was.

Date: 02/25/17 18:26
Re: A Piper at Dawn
Author: flash34

I think I would have tried the whistle from back in the cab...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/26/17 02:05
Author: dpudave

I mean no criticism, I'm just curious: Does a static display engine truly need oiling every day? I admire the dedication, anyway, which, I suspect, helped keep vandals away.  Also admire the photos. My thanks. d

Date: 02/26/17 06:51
Author: TrackGuy

D,

The regular oiling keeps some amount of oil on the wearing surfaces to help prevent occupation and rust from developing.

This will make a future restoration potentially less intensive if those wearing g surfaces are coated.

TrackGuy

Posted from Android

Date: 02/26/17 08:50
Author: flash34

The truth is that on a static engine once a month or so would be plenty. But it is nonetheless a noble endeavor, and the 4449 benefited much from the same type of dedication by Jack Holst. It's likely that the engine's running gear would have been in much rougher shape and possibly been skipped over for the Freedom Train.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/26/17 12:47
Author: dpudave

Thanks, Trackguy. I know of an engine in Ontario that, while under a shed roof, never gets oiled. It never occurred to me, or I suppose anyone else in the area, that this was neglectful. While it's unlikely she'd ever run again, maybe it's time to donate an oil can and some spare time. d

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds