Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Nostalgia & History > M.U. Operation SF Muni's Market Street (Video Link)

Date: 05/17/06 21:39
M.U. Operation SF Muni's Market Street (Video Link)
Author: norm1153

I've put up a Flash video, approx 5 1/2 min in length, showing multiple unit operation in August of 1985, using Muni Boeing LRV's 1212 and 1213.

This is a 25 MB file. It will play as soon as the link is loaded in the browser, so a high speed/broadband connection is recommended. It requires Flash Version 8, but should prompt you for an update if it detects an earlier version. The update is very small and updates very quickly. Note: If you get only sound, and no video, or vice versa, you will need the browser update.

If it plays jerky the first time, you can hit the play button after it completes, and it should play smoothly on successive playbacks. You can also save this to your computer and play it locally, if desired:

http://www.normanspaulding.com/1212-1213a.htm

I hope everyone enjoys it; I have other video from the 80's and 90's I could put up, as well, if there is any interest.

Thanks,
Norm

Date: 05/17/06 22:08
Re: M.U. Operation SF Muni's Market Street (Video Link)
Author: daylight

Norm,

Great video conversion. Good camera operating skills too (nice and still).

What was the special occasion for the MU?

Looking forward to seeing other videos.

-daylight

Date: 05/17/06 23:14
Author: norm1153

Well, in the very long history of streetcar operation on Market Street, no MU (multiple unit; train-style) operation has ever been recorded. This was a charter movement, just to do that very thing, while it was still possible. (In previous years, one of the cars had operated during the summer's Historic Trolley Festival, but by itself only.)

The two LRV's used had been the original ones delivered for testing in 1977, and had come with trolley poles. The poles had long since been removed, and the cars ran using pantographs in the Metro subway and associated surface lines. However, the retriever bases and rooftop foundations had been left. So, it was a matter of going through the Muni bureacracy and getting necessary approvals, etc., etc., to do it.

We didn't really know if it was a go until about 3 days before the scheduled charter, when an operator alerted me that he had spotted the cars inside Metro shops getting their poles installed.

Date: 05/20/06 19:16
Author: tjohnson00

Very nice footage. I would love to see some more footage as well.

Terry
Berkeley,Ca.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds