Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe down the 210 freeway in Arcadia, CA - 1991

Date: 10/15/06 21:19
Santa Fe down the 210 freeway in Arcadia, CA - 1991
Author: PasadenaSub

Here's one that definitely had some speed involved. I had photographed the same westbound train through Glendora on the Pasadena Sub a few minutes earlier on October 20, 1991. Since he was moving somewhat slower than most of the through freights through town, I figured I might have a chance to get ahead of him in time for a shot of the train on the 210 freeway in Arcadia. So I made my way to the freeway onramp and hightailed it west to the Baldwin Avenue exit in Arcadia. I got off and back on the 210 freeway eastbound.

My timing was pretty good, as I could see the train coming across the bridge into the middle of the freeway lanes in the distance. My windshield was fairly clean, so I held the camera above the steering wheel and set the shutter speed for about 1/1000 sec. to freeze the train with the combined speed of both train and car at over 100mph.

Although the windshield glass took quite a bit of sharpness from the finished result, I was still happy with my only image of Superfleet GP60M's taken from the 210 freeway 'blacktop' vantage point.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Date: 10/15/06 21:44
Re: Santa Fe down the 210 freeway in Arcadia, CA - 1991
Author: shtinkypuppie

I don't think I've ever been sadder that the ATSF is gone.

Truely superb picture.

Date: 10/15/06 22:03
Author: alco636

Awesome shot. This should take first place IMHO.

Date: 10/15/06 22:51
Author: ProAmtrak

No kidding, one of the best shots I've seen!

Date: 10/16/06 00:02
Author: sploopconductor

Rich: Good shot... the train at speed and you, 'at speed'. You taking that shot reminds me of a time that I passed a guy heading for the Santa Anita Racetrack at that very same spot... (you had a camera), he had the "Daily Racing Form" firmly against the steering wheel --- with two 'eye holes' cut in it so he could see the road AND read the "Form" at the same time!

It was a double-take moment, it was hard to believe he was able to do both things and maintain his lane. Had a "Chippy" seen it, I think he would have been late for the 1st race!

Again, great shot... just memories.

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 10/16/06 00:05
Author: ATSF100WEST

Rich-

That is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! A one-in-a-million opportunity, perfectly executed. I fully agree with alco636 - 1st Place/Week One.

Thanks very much for sharing it,

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 10/16/06 00:49
Author: winchester

Does any frieght still use that area of track for their local service?

Date: 10/16/06 06:30
winchester......
Author: ATSF100WEST

No, the track has been removed in this section, and towards the end of the train in Rich's view, the bridge over the freeway is gone too. Eventually? the Metro Gold Line (2 tracks) will be put back here, and a new bridge will be constructed. The current westernmost end of track is just east of the Santa Anita Avenue crossing in Arcadia.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 10/16/06 06:52
Author: bnsfbob

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No kidding, one of the best shots I've seen!

Brings back memories of riding and pacing trains on the 210 Fwy. Bob

Date: 10/16/06 09:50
Author: IC_2024

Great shot--seems impossible to believe that I was eating dinner in the diner on the "Southwest Chief" over this track back in '92.
Sad to see this go, but thanks for the memories with your shot.

Date: 10/16/06 10:42
Author: jofegan

Wow - brings back memories of freights running down the 210. Excellent shot. Too bad we can't get the same shots of SP/UP doing down the I-10 median.

jofegan

Date: 10/16/06 16:24
Author: MacBeau

Rich:
You got my vote! I chased a consist almost identical to that one and the same year toward LA in my Lady's Supra with it right out my window. Thanks so much for the memories.
—Mac

Date: 10/16/06 18:28
Author: KevO

My great grandmother lived in Arcadia and my family use to drive from Riverside on the 210 back in the early 80's. I always stayed awake just in case I saw a train down this line but never did.

Thanks for showing me something that I always wanted to see.

KevO

Date: 10/17/06 16:19
Author: ats90mph

I think that block signal is still there in the distance. it just showed red for a very long time.

Date: 10/18/06 01:14
Author: Steamjocky

Rich, do you have any idea what the speed limit was along this section of track? When the SP trains went over the State Street Line that goes between the freeway lanes of I-10 the speed limit was 40mph in both directions. I never figured out exactly why as it was good for at least 60.

JDE

Date: 10/18/06 09:28
Author: sploopconductor

Steamjocky Wrote:
When the SP
> trains went over the State Street Line that goes
> between the freeway lanes of I-10 the speed limit
> was 40mph in both directions. I never figured out
> exactly why, as it was "good for at least 60."
>
> JDE

John finally confessed... 50% over the speed limit! But, IIRC, he told me that was registered with a b/o speedo, or, at least, that is his defense. BTW, the ink is just now drying on your "Notice of Investigation", (the company 'party' invite) please be available to sign for the letter.

If I were you, JDE, I'd insist on a 're-enactment'. It would be a great show, just make sure it's daylight, on a Saturday or Sunday, so everyone can check out the special run ... up and down the freeway!

P.S.: Insist that the roundhouse forces assemble a nice selection of various EMD models, in proper Southern Pacific paint.

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 10/18/06 10:41
Author: srlerxst

Wow, this photo has my vote, you can't ask for more of a perfect combination - train and photographer both at "speed" - synchronicity. I hope this photo will win or at least make it to the top 10.

I remember back in September of 1989 I took the connecting Southwest Chief after the Coast Starlight arrived in LA to Pomona, and traveling down the middle of the 210 Freeway. However, the train was moving slower than the traffic on the freeway.

Date: 10/18/06 11:53
Author: PasadenaSub

John,

I don't have my timetable at this moment, but I believe the speed limit here was probably 40-45mph. The line was fairly straight in the section through western Arcadia seen in the photo, but soon after are the big curves at Sierra Madre Villa (then ATSF's Chapman) which is just west of the Gold Line's current end of the line station. Trains would further slow down to 25mph coming out of the tunnel into downtown Pasadena.

I think I slowed down to about 60mph for the photo (to increase my odds of a good catch). So the combined speed of car and train was probably 100-105mph. Luckily nobody blew by in the fast lane at the critical moment.

Thanks for the kind words on the photo, everyone.

Rich

Steamjocky Wrote:
> Rich, do you have any idea what the speed limit
> was along this section of track? When the SP
> exactly why as it was good for at least 60.
>
> JDE

Date: 10/18/06 17:30
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Years ago before the freeway the speed limit wsa 79. i think there used ot be a speed board in Arcadia for westward movement 60-50.mph

Date: 10/18/06 21:33
Author: Railrev

Steamjocky Wrote:
> Rich, do you have any idea what the speed limit
> was along this section of track? When the SP
> exactly why as it was good for at least 60.
>
> JDE

Well, Rich caught the train in Glendora, then went south a couple miles on surface streets to the Freeway and then 12 or so miles west on the 210, turned around and headed back east and still got that great shot.

If the train was doing anything faster than 40-45 MPH, I don't think we want to to know what speeds Rich was doing on the 210 or down Grand Avenue in Glendora.

Still, thanks for the great shot...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0798 seconds