Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Nostalgia & History > train #2-830 at Santa Barbara

Date: 05/23/07 21:28
train #2-830 at Santa Barbara
Author: choochoocharlie

The 8490 is now the only unit left to run this train of 55 cars to LA. They just dropped off their second unit, SD45T-2 9249, for the Extra 9136 West which was having engine problems and soon to arrive to add it to their consist as the lead unit. Any of you Coastline folks recognize any of the SP crew in the photo?

C.C.Chas.

Date: 05/24/07 07:20
Re: train #2-830 at Santa Barbara
Author: bradleymckay

Notes from the late "Ventura Yardmaster" indicated that this train was the WJLAY (via radio from Oxnard). Train passed Ventura at 12:40pm. Picked up the 3772 at Oxnard...

The 9136 was the WCOAZ (he shows the power to be the 9136 and the 5303 when it took the siding at Ventura, at 10:20am, to meet the ERWCY with was running at the 1-830).

Allen

Date: 05/24/07 18:57

choochoocharlie Wrote:
Any of you Coastline folks recognize
> any of the SP crew in the photo?
>
> C.C.Chas.

There is a small chance that the employee on the right is "sploopconductor" since Larry worked up the coast many times after he hired on. Both have the same build...

Green hat?? Gawd, I remember seeing that hat a few times back in those days. And if the man on the ground is an employee I know I've talked to him several times at SLO, but as happens so often, I never got his name.

Hopefully, somebody here on TO can help us out.

AM

Date: 05/24/07 19:35
Author: ButteStBrakeman

bradleymckay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> There is a small chance that the employee on the
> right is "sploopconductor" since Larry worked up
> the coast many times after he hired on. Both have
> the same build...
>
>
> AM

Allen... That guy has too much hair to be our most illustrious "SLOOP". The guy on the ground kinda looks like Gerry Keyser.
Hey Nudge... help us out here.

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 05/24/07 22:09

SLOCONDR Wrote:

> Allen... That guy has too much hair to be our most
> illustrious "SLOOP". The guy on the ground kinda
> looks like Gerry Keyser.
>
> V
>
> SLOCONDR

That's a familiar name. The more I think about it the more I remember this guy. Pretty sure it was he and Bruce Sprayberry that pulled a rubber legged "Jivy Jack" off the engine at SLO one time in front of a large crowd waiting for #13. Quite a embarrassing moment for the crew...

Allen

Date: 05/24/07 22:19
Author: choochoocharlie

I thought I had already scanned a photo of the unit that they left for the westbound but couldn't find it. Guess I hadn't scanned it yet. Should also be photos of the westbound picking up that unit too.............C.C.Chas.

Date: 05/25/07 05:13
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

the green hat person looks like Clay McBride...

Date: 05/25/07 16:13
Author: Steamjocky

atsffan Wrote:
> And a "Jivy Jack" is . . . ?

...a retired trainman that worked out of Watsonville Jct. and San Luis Obispo. He was a character!

JDE

Date: 05/25/07 17:43
Author: ButteStBrakeman

atsffan Wrote:
> > Pretty sure it was
> > he and Bruce Sprayberry that pulled a rubber
> > legged "Jivy Jack" off the engine at SLO one
> time
> > in front of a large crowd waiting for #13.
> Quite
> > a embarrassing moment for the crew...
> >
> > Allen
>
>
> And a "Jivy Jack" is . . . ?

When I transferred from the Los Angeles Div. to the Coast Div in 1976 (the first time) Jive was around 52 years old and was a product left over from the 60's. He had long hair, BIG bell bottom Levi's, earring, goatee and so on. He was the first Condr I worked with upon transferring. I had bid in the old Beet job that went to work at 1230 am (damn midnight 30's). There used to be a long wooden bench in our locker room at SLO. The first night I showed up a little early and kinda laid down on the bench. Well, a few minutes later I hear bells ringing. What the Hell, I wondered... in walks a guy with little bells on his work boots. I am thinkin' :what the hell is this"?? Turns out to be my Condr. Jivey turned out to be one of the finest people I ever met in my 40 year career on the RR. He just retired about 3 years ago and moved to Arkansas. He came out last year to our retirement BBQ and EVERYONE was really happy to see him.

GOD love ya Jive !!!

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 05/26/07 10:32
Author: Steamjocky

I hope he shows up again this year.

JDE

Date: 05/26/07 10:36
Author: WAF

My mental image of Conductor Jivey is the Zonker character from the Doonesbury cartoon strip ( if you read cartoons)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0736 seconds