Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Nostalgia & History > Old stuff just sitting around at UP's East Yard

Date: 05/30/07 09:24
Old stuff just sitting around at UP's East Yard
Author: SP6190

A few more photos by Bernard Levine all taken at UP's East Yard in June 1965.

Date: 05/30/07 09:24
Re: Old stuff just sitting around at UP's East Yard

More of the same.

Date: 05/30/07 09:25

And finally.

Date: 05/30/07 11:42
Author: SteveD

Brings back memories of when I used to prowl around there, and upon finding those RKO/Paramount RR pieces thought I'd really found some old forgotten U.P. equipment...saw them gradually go thru shops preparing for movie making and wished I could see them in operation(the locos) on own power(which they were restored to do, but I never caught 'em).

Date: 05/30/07 17:28
Author: Pullman

Okay, that sure looks like the two passenger cars painted maroon(?) for the train from "The Wild Wild West" tv show... along with the V&T Inyo as well in paint as seen on the show. Nice stuff!

Date: 05/30/07 21:15
Author: scottp

The equipment's great, but could someone explain the Richfield Oil signs in the foreground of the first photo?

Date: 05/30/07 21:30
Author: GP30

Those Richfield Oil signs might be there to indicate a service access point to an oil pipeline as often various types of pipelines were laid along RR right of way. The more modern version of such signs is often what looks like the red over white tip of a cane for a visually impaired person.

GP30

Date: 05/31/07 07:02
Author: wabash2800

Was all of this equipment saved? And if so, where to?

Date: 05/31/07 16:19
Author: UPNW2-1083

GP30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those Richfield Oil signs might be there to
> indicate a service access point to an oil pipeline
> as often various types of pipelines were laid
> along RR right of way. The more modern version of
> such signs is often what looks like the red over
> white tip of a cane for a visually impaired
> person.
>
> GP30

There's a row of oil wells behind the photographer in this area. The photos are looking south. The row of wells runs east to west along the south drill track that now ends at the 710 freeway. The oil wells are still there and still pump out oil. The shanty in the last two photos was the old trailer dock shanty. I've played a lot of card games in there waiting for tracks to be released to us on the ramp. The track where these were taken was called appropriately enough the "Movie Spur" and was there until they added more ramp tracks in the mid 80s.-BMT

Date: 08/01/14 09:36
Author: Pullman

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was all of this equipment saved? And if so, where
> to?

All three locomotives became part of the collection of the State of Nevada. The locomotive under the tarp is #18, the Dayton - now on display at the Comstock History Center in Virginia City, NV. The #25 and the #22, Inyo (seen lettered as #8) are restored and operate at the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City, NV.

The Inyo and maroon passenger cars were indeed the train set filmed for the Wild Wild West television series.

http://www.nsrm-friends.org/nsrm11.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1594 seconds