Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Nostalgia & History > Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Date: 04/30/08 08:10
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Author: flynn

If you do a Keyword search on the Denver Public Library digital photo web site, http://history.denverlibrary.org , for Railroad Glenwood Springs, you will get 168 photos. Many of the photos are landscape pictures of Glenwood Springs such as Picture 1 below.

Picture 1 below, is DPL photo X-8762. “Title: Glenwood From Bathhouse. Summary: Panoramic view of the town of Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in Garfield County. The tracks of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad follow the bends of the Colorado River. Visible landmarks include the hot springs, the bathhouses, and the Hotel Glenwood. Date: (between 1870 and 19000. Source: Mrs. E. L. Morse, Excelsior Springs, Missouri.”

Picture 1 must have been how Glenwood Springs looked when my Grandmother Flynn came to Glenwood Springs in 1889 to work at the Glenwood Springs Pool and Bathhouse. When Mrs. Flynn arrived in Glenwood Springs she must have come from the Colorado Midland Railroad Depot to the east, off the picture to the right, or from the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Depot to the east, off the picture to the right, and crossed the Cooper Avenue Bridge to the Glenwood Springs Pool and Bathhouse. When my Grandfather Flynn came to join my Grandmother Flynn in Glenwood Springs in 1890 he must have also crossed the Cooper Avenue Bridge.

In 1891 the Grand Avenue Bridge [one block to the east or to the right in the picture] was built and the Cooper Avenue Bridge torn down. In 1893 the Hotel Colorado was built.

Picture 2 below, is DPL photo X-8834. “Title: The Valley of the Grand, at Glenwood Springs. Summary: View overlooking the Colorado River Valley at Glenwood Springs (formerly known as Defiance), Colorado, in Garfield County. Landmarks include water tower and rails of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, the Hotel Colorado (opened 1893) with water squirting out of the fountain in courtyard, the hot springs spa and Natatorium, and the footbridge over the Colorado River. Date: (1893?). Creator: W. E. Hook Wholesale View Company.”

Picture 2 must have been taken shortly after the Hotel Colorado opened. It appears the railroad spur from the Glenwood Springs rail yards [Funston] to the front of the Hotel Colorado has not been built yet.

The present Denver and Rio Grande [Western] Depot was built in 1904.

Picture 3 below is DPL photo GB-8328. “Title: D&RG open observation car on rear of eastbound traveling passenger agents special train at Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Summary: Men pose in an open observation car at the end of a Denver and Rio Grande Railroad passenger train at Glenwood Springs, Colorado, flanked by the D&RG depot and the Colorado River. Date: 1915? Creator: George Lytle Beam 1868-1935. Source: Jackson Thode. Medium: 1 photonegative: glass; 20 x 25 cm. (8 x 10 in.). Condition: negative has pitting, and chipped emulsion at edges.”

Since the fog in Picture 3 is not mentioned in the condition of the glass photonegative [“Condition: negative has pitting and chipped emulsion at edges.”] perhaps the fog in the picture is due to smoke from the locomotive and vapor from the hot water pool across the Colorado River from the depot.

When we moved to Glenwood Springs from Buena Vista in August of 1941 we took Highway 24 from Buena Vista over Tennessee Pass and Battle Mountain and through Minturn. A few miles west of Minturn the highway became Highway 6 and 24 and continued as 6 and 24 to Grand Junction.

http://www.geocities.com/usend2029/End024/end024.htm

In August of 1941 Highway 6 and 24 exited from the canyon and went right in front of the Colorado Hotel. The Hotel Colorado had built a pedestrian overpass over the highway from the courtyard of the Hotel over the highway and down to the pool.

Picture 4 below, is from “Glenwood Springs: Spa in the Mountains” by Lena M. Urquhart. “An 8-foot stone wall terraced the formal garden in the south court of Hotel Colorado. A stone causeway (right) bridged the carriage road.”

Picture 5 below, is about the way Glenwood Springs looked in August 1941. In the upper middle of the photo you can see the road to the Pioneer Cemetery and you can see the cemetery on the top of the hill. On the middle right edge of the photo you can see the poplar trees that lined Grand Avenue as it became Highway 82 to Aspen.

Picture 5 below, is DPL photo X-8773. “Title: Colorado - Glenwood Springs. Summary: Panoramic view overlooking the town of Glenwood Springs (formerly known as Defiance), Colorado, in Garfield County. Landmarks include: the Colorado River, the tracks of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, the Hotel Colorado, the hot springs and spa, including the Stone Bath House, and the train depot. Date: (between 1930 and 1940).

Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenwood_Springs , has a web page on Glenwood Springs.

Picture 6 below, is from the Wikipedia web page for Glenwood Springs. The building in the picture being remodeled used to be the Glen Movie Theater. When we first moved to Glenwood in August of 1941 we lived across the bridge in North Glenwood. I used to go at night to the Wolfman and Frankenstein movies in the Glen Movie Theater and then run all the way down Grand, across the bridge, and along Highway 6 and 24 to our house.

Later when we had moved up on Bennett Avenue every Saturday afternoon the kids of the neighborhood would go to the weekly installment of the serial, “Perils of Nyoka.” Nyoka searched the jungle for her missing father and for tablets of the secrets of the universe. The neighborhood kids and I would take the pieces of marble I had brought from Marble and we would make them into tablets like in Nyoka by writing in code on them and then burying them in the Pioneer Cemetery.

Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perils_of_Nyoka , has a web page on Perils of Nyoka.

Picture 7 below, is a movie poster from the Wikipedia web page on Perils of Nyoka.

Picture 8 below, is a photo from the April 5th, 2008 Glenwood Springs Post Independent. “After a warm spring afternoon of playing fetch, Erin Leighty and Beasley chill out on Grand Avenue in Glenwood Springs with an ice cream cone and a sudoku puzzle Friday. (Kelley Cox / Post Independent).

I think the location in Picture 8 is near the foot of the bridge as it enters Glenwood Springs. As I remember in 1941 this location was near the Burdge Mortuary with its black marble front. I had a morbid fascination with the Burdge Mortuary. The movie, “Rachel, Rachel,” http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=87530 , does a good job in showing how the attitudes toward mortuaries and morticians have changed.

Picture 9 below, is DPL photo OP-10767. “Title: D&RGW train, engine number 3617, engine type 2-8-8-2. Alternative Title: Denver & Rio Grande Western train, engine number 3617, engine type 2-8-8-2. Summary: Freight, westbound. Photographed: Glenwood Springs, Colo., July 1, 1934. Creator: Otto C. Perry.

The web site, , has a video of an actor playing the part of William Jackson Palmer and telling about his life. William Jackson Palmer was the builder of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad.

If the above link does not work do a Google search form William Jackson Palmer and look for the YouTube result. When I did the Google search it was at the bottom of the first page of results.

Date: 04/30/08 08:13
Re: Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Pictures 4, 5, and 6.

Date: 04/30/08 08:15

Pictures 7, 8, and 9.

Date: 04/30/08 14:50
Author: xtra1188w

Here's another picture of the hotel that's across the river from the Rio Grande's depot in Glenwood Springs that I took in May 1975.

Con

Date: 04/30/08 16:53
Author: markmcal

Thanks flynn, another fine posting that brings in more than just the railroad side of things. I love Glenwood, have visited there from my boyhood (aunt and uncle lived south of the river near New Castle) to my early fifties. (As a 26-year-old I once hiked out of Glenwood Canyon past Hanging Lake, on Dead Horse Trail, all the way to the top, and back. The most sore I have ever been, afterward.) My wife, son and I stayed in the refurbished Hotel Colorado in 1988, so I enjoyed your old photos of it.

We stayed in the Hot Springs Lodge on several trips, and always got a top floor room facing the tracks so we could enjoy the passing freights and the CZ. Enjoyed riding bikes on the new trail through the canyon. We thought about another trip a couple of years ago, but the Lodge prices had skyrocketed -- almost $200 a night. So -- Glenwood has been "discovered." So we didn't go, then. But I have a feeling we'll be drawn back.

Mark

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1352 seconds