Pictures 4, 5, and 6.

Date: 04/30/08 08:15
Re: Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Author: flynn

Pictures 7, 8, and 9.

Date: 04/30/08 14:50
Author: xtra1188w

Here's another picture of the hotel that's across the river from the Rio Grande's depot in Glenwood Springs that I took in May 1975.

Con

Date: 04/30/08 16:53
Author: markmcal

Thanks flynn, another fine posting that brings in more than just the railroad side of things. I love Glenwood, have visited there from my boyhood (aunt and uncle lived south of the river near New Castle) to my early fifties. (As a 26-year-old I once hiked out of Glenwood Canyon past Hanging Lake, on Dead Horse Trail, all the way to the top, and back. The most sore I have ever been, afterward.) My wife, son and I stayed in the refurbished Hotel Colorado in 1988, so I enjoyed your old photos of it.

We stayed in the Hot Springs Lodge on several trips, and always got a top floor room facing the tracks so we could enjoy the passing freights and the CZ. Enjoyed riding bikes on the new trail through the canyon. We thought about another trip a couple of years ago, but the Lodge prices had skyrocketed -- almost $200 a night. So -- Glenwood has been "discovered." So we didn't go, then. But I have a feeling we'll be drawn back.

Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0789 seconds