Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Nostalgia & History > Pepsi, anyone?

Date: 09/14/09 05:43
Pepsi, anyone?
Author: Super_C

Referring to the Amtrak "Pepsi Can" paint scheme back in the early 1990s, that is. Here we find Amtrak #4 drifting across the bridge at MP 773.2, just a couple of minutes away from the station stop at Las Vegas, NM. The date is April 17, 1993.

Date: 09/14/09 06:25
Re: Pepsi, anyone?
Author: highgreengraphics

One of my favorite photo props, but it was hard to decide to walk in there off the frontage road because right in that area is where the semaphores still are, and once Amtrak gets out ahead of you on this high-speed line, it is tough to get ahead of it again, even with the brief Las Vegas station stop. The nice vintage writing is still in good shape on the highway side of the bridge, however when they installed fiber optic cable along the right-of-way several years ago, it seems like they went out of their way to put the large-diameter steel conduit for that right across the center of the lettering, ruining any further picture possibilities. --- --- - --- JLH

Date: 09/14/09 07:48
Author: Super_C

highgreengraphics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of my favorite photo props.......

> The nice vintage writing is still in good
> shape on the highway side of the bridge, however
> when they installed fiber optic cable along the
> right-of-way several years ago, it seems like they
> went out of their way to put the large-diameter
> steel conduit for that right across the center of
> the lettering, ruining any further picture
> possibilities. --- --- - --- JLH

Yes, I failed to mention the fiber optic conduit. Just another good photo location ruined forever.

JCL

Date: 09/14/09 08:18
Author: m1bprr

Super_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Referring to the Amtrak "Pepsi Can" paint scheme
> back in the early 1990s, that is. Here we find
> Amtrak #4 drifting across the bridge at MP 773.2,
> just a couple of minutes away from the station
> stop at Las Vegas, NM. The date is April 17,
> 1993.

Now that's a nice looking Amtrak train! Not the stupid looking consists with the present day splash coat of paint on them.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 09/14/09 08:46
Author: coosbaytoday

Like the Pepsi Cans also, but nothing wrong with Ed's picture.
Todd Montgomery
Eugene OR

Date: 09/14/09 09:53
Author: Amtrak288

The Pepsi Can paint scheme was quite nice but I have no issue either with Amtrak's current scheme, yes it took some getting used to at first because I always did like how Phase III paint looked on P42's but what they have now is respectable in my opinon. I like seeing a uniform paint scheme on the consist of the train as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/09 09:54 by Amtrak288.

Date: 09/14/09 10:31
Author: tjohnson00

Ahhh the Phase III era of Amtrak. I miss it alot. Everything from the F40PHs to the Amtrak Phase III Superliners to the Pepsi Cans. The Phase V paint is pretty cool but i'll take Phase III any day.

Terry
Berkeley,Ca.

Date: 09/14/09 20:26
Author: atsf98

I'll second that Terry
D

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0827 seconds