Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > Portland - July 1969

Date: 09/13/09 23:09
Portland - July 1969
Author: mcfflyer

I can't let Randy (nomosantafe) and Rob (rob_l) have all the fun in the Pacific Northwest, showing their great stuff.

These were all taken over a three day period in July 1969. I was an incoming freshman at Oregon State University, and came up for new student orientation from my home in Redding, riding on SP's Cascade. I boarded No. 12 at 12:30am in Redding, and settled into a roomette for the first time in my life. I think it cost about $30 more than coach. At Albany, a friend I knew boarded the train, and we rode up to Portland for my first visit. What a great place to look at trains within a couple minutes walk from the platforms, as the SP&S Hoyt Street roundhouse was right next to Union Station. Later that afternoon, we took 11 down to Albany, and I was taken to Corvallis for the orientation. Not surprising, I don't remember anything about that orientation, but two days later, back in Albany, I retraced my steps up to Portland on 12 and back down to Redding on 11.

Too bad I hadn't really learned the concept of "get on the sunny side", as the photos aren't as ideal as I wish they were. Plus, I wasn't using Kodachrome, and I think I'm paying for that too.

Photo 1 - an ABBB of GN F7s at Hoyt Street, led by 452-D.

Photo 2 - SP&S Train 2, the Empire Builder-North Coast Limited combined train leaving Portland behind F7A 806 and a GP9.

Photo 3 - Not at the Hoyt Street facility of SP&S, but across the street parked on the property of Union Station sat this ABBA set of NP F7s led by 6019A.

Part 1 of 2

Lee Hower
Sacramento

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/09 08:22 by mcfflyer.

Date: 09/13/09 23:12
Re: Portland - July 1969
Author: mcfflyer

Photo 4 and 5 - These were taken on my return trip to Portland before heading home to Redding. Here is a predeparture shot of SP&S Train 2 behind 804 and GP9 150, and one as the train leaves the station.

You know, for a simple, low cost paint scheme, I thought that dark green and yellow/brown looked pretty good.

Part 2 of 2

Lee Hower

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/09 23:47 by mcfflyer.

Date: 09/14/09 01:32
Author: SP8100

Lee,

Much appreciated.. I never did get to see SP&S before the merger in 1970.. I love pictures of the depot and Hoyt St. as I only saw it a few times while it was still there before BN tore it out..

SP 8100

Date: 09/14/09 07:49
Author: 462pacific

Thanks for the look. Many memories for me
including orientation at OSU. I went through
all of this in 1963. Of course, my story is
somewhat reversed as I ended up here in
Redding rather than starting here. Hoyt
Street was a special place where you were
liable to find anything railroad at any
given time. I even saw a shay under steam there
one day ... but was too lazy to take camera
with me. Never thought it would disappear
from the scene completely but ....

Date: 09/14/09 08:15
Author: asheldrake

Lee,
GREAT pictures, thanks for posting some of your memories! Arlen

Date: 09/14/09 20:24
Author: patd3985

Sure would like to know what happened to the water spout in pic #1. They still had one up at Wishram 'til not too long ago. They're scarce as hens teeth nowadays!

Date: 09/15/09 10:05
Author: TCnR

Great stuff. The paint looks pretty good in 1969. Sure was different than today's handful of RR's.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0686 seconds