Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Nostalgia & History > Lone Pine Branch, today

Date: 11/08/12 14:59
Lone Pine Branch, today
Author: Fizzboy7

Are there any portions of the Lone Pine branch that are still visible from US-395? This of course would be areas north of the Trona operations.

Date: 11/08/12 15:10
Re: Lone Pine Branch, today
Author: rehunn

About a mile and a half North of the crossing at the Junction is all that's
left in rail. There are a number of spots where the ROW can be seen crossing
395 at grade North of there.

Date: 11/08/12 16:21
Author: fredkharrison

Still a few traces left of what once was

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 11/08/12 16:52
Author: rehunn

Yah, but you've got to buy an airplane to see them.

Date: 11/08/12 19:38
Author: DNRY122

Or bring up a satellite view on the internet--something that would have been Sci-Fi when I started railfanning.

Date: 11/08/12 22:57
Author: Harlock

Lots to see from the road as you are entering the Owens Valley at at the bottom end. The railroad grade crosses the highway and then begins a series of fills and cuts, look for missing bridges, easy to spot. Sometimes it can be confused with the aqueduct.

As far as I know one side of the tunnel is still not caved in (the west side) and can be accessed via the right of way which is now a fire trail, easiest way looked to park near the old summit restaurant / hotel complex at Montgomery Pass and walk or mountain bike back to it. Haven't done it but want to. If anyone here has any advice towards that let me know.

-Mike

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 11/10/12 00:14
Author: WP707

The Lone Pine branch was used in the film Bad Day At Black Rock...(NOT filmed at Gerlach as popularily thought)...

Going east of Lone Pine, you can still see a few of the buildings that were in the movie...and you can drive a dirt road that is adjacent to the ROW, a mile or two east of Hwy 395...

Date: 11/10/12 00:31
Author: Steamjocky

Where is the photo of the wye taken? The only wye I know of on the Lone Pine branch is at Searles and I'm pretty sure that's not Searles.

JDE

Date: 11/10/12 06:24
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where is the photo of the wye taken? The only wye
> I know of on the Lone Pine branch is at Searles
> and I'm pretty sure that's not Searles.
>
> JDE

As we know Searles did not have all of the vegetation as seen in the photo... I believe Lone Pine had a wye.. I will give the Godfather a call and pick his brain...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 08:08 by SanJoaquinEngr.

Date: 11/10/12 06:55
Author: sgtfhrn

The picture is at the original end of the Lone Pine Branch at Owenyo, CA, where it interchanged with the SP narrow gauge line. I think that last few miles of the branch beyond Lone Pine Station to Owenyo was abandoned along with the narrow gauge line around 1960 or so.

Here's a Google Maps link for Owenyo, CA. http://maps.google.com/?ll=36.678573,-118.044995&spn=0.007305,0.012757&t=h&z=17

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 07:13 by sgtfhrn.

Date: 11/10/12 07:16
Author: sgtfhrn

SanJoaquinEngr Wrote:
>I believe Lone Pine had a
> wye..

There appears to have been a wye just north of Lone Pine Station. http://maps.google.com/?ll=36.624276,-118.040757&spn=0.00731,0.012757&t=h&z=17

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds