Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday - Leadville, CO

Date: 08/01/14 18:15
Depot Friday - Leadville, CO
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Colorado & Southern depot in brick, used by a tourist train as office/tickets/gift shop

Denver & Rio Grande in wood, not sure current use (if any) but some old mining pieces stored here too

Taken this past Tuesday. For those in the heat, it was 52 deg F at 3 pm here.

Date: 08/01/14 19:19
Re: Depot Friday - Leadville, CO
Author: DavidMKetchum

One must remember that Leadville CO sits at 10,000'+ above sea level. Even when it's "warm" there it's not and when it's "cool", it feels like winter. I have been in Leadville several times and it has always seemed to be on the "chilly" side. Just drop south to Salida at 7,000' for warm weather!

Date: 08/01/14 20:37
Author: Frisco1522

Leadville is a super neat town. Must be hell in winter, but it's really got some history to it.
Wonder if the Golden Burro restaurant is still there? Great place to eat.

Date: 08/01/14 22:26
Author: Xtra276West

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Leadville is a super neat town.

"Cooler"-still -- when the D&RGW still ran up the Arkansas Valley through Malta and the nearby Leadville environs. :p

Or the Colorado Midland making a "left turn" and heading towards Hagerman Pass, early in the 20th century.

(Sigh.)

Pat from Littleton, CO.

Date: 08/02/14 08:03
Author: Ptolemy

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Leadville is a super neat town. Must be hell in
> winter, but it's really got some history to it.
> Wonder if the Golden Burro restaurant is still
> there? Great place to eat.

I last ate at the Golden Burro about a year ago; it is a great place. I can say less for the tourist train. It was a chilly October day, with rain turning to snow at the upper elevation, and there was no heat in the cars. The train turned back about halfway up the advertised route (no refunds); I think the crew got bored.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds