Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Nostalgia & History > Milwaukee Rd. St Paul pass, Train Operation report, Apr

Date: 08/01/14 18:30
Milwaukee Rd. St Paul pass, Train Operation report, Apr
Author: Eastportal

I've found the complete Milwaukee Rd test report done on April 16-29th, 1974. This report has been referenced several times over the last few years on T.O. and others. It is incredible reading. Follow this link (cut and paste if it doesn't open, I'm not real good at this) "https://milwaukeeroadarchives.com/PostWar/PostWar.htm Download the 4th file on the page "Service test evaluation of Mainline Track, Bensenville and Tacoma. Train operation on mountain grade between Haugan & Avery, April 16-29, 1974." It is a PDF file (2.9Mb in size) This report will answer many of out questions about why the high number of derailments during this time period. Enjoy this wonderful report about a railroad that should not have died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/14 18:32 by Eastportal.

Date: 08/01/14 19:19
Re: Milwaukee Rd. St Paul pass, Train Operation report,
Author: goneon66

wow, thanks for that great link.......

Date: 08/01/14 20:00
Author: MartyBernard

If you truncate the link after .com/ it is even better.

Marty

Date: 08/02/14 22:57
Author: rob_l

The first thing that strikes me about this April - May, 1974 test is how light the tonnage was on the priority time freights (261C and Adv 262S) and how heavy it was on the secondary Locotrol time freights (261TC and 262S):

261C16: Joe + 2 SD40-2, 2693 tons
Adv 262S21: Joe + 2 SD40-2, 3681 tons
261TC20: 5 SD40-2 Locotrol, 5499 tons
Adv 262S23: Joe + 2 SD40-2, 2981 tons
261TC21: 5 SD40-2 Locotrol, 6780 tons
262S25: 4 SD40-2, 1 SD45 Locotrol, 6267 tons

I think the low tonnage on 261C and Adv 262S reflects how much time-sensitive traffic was lost in the Oct. 73 melt-down and/or how low the tonnage had to be kept in order to make some semblance of a respectable schedule in the face of mounting slow orders.

The second thing that strikes me is that the Test Department seems to be part of the Milwaukee Shops and therefore under the Mechanical Dept. The motivation of the Mechanical Dept. was to lay as much blame as possible on the track and absolve Locotrol operation from blame as much as possible.

Note the 204,000 lb force from a run-in when 262S25 tried to start after stopping to inspect the power after two units overheated and quit in the summit tunnel. I suspect that kind of force, on Milwaukee's weak track, might have been enough to pop a car off the rails if it took place on a tight curve or a low joint. Indeed, around the time of this test, this same train (262S) derailed right at this spot (as it exited the summit tunnel). The incident not only piled up the train but also tore down a section of trolley. It was never repaired, and trains powered by Joe + diesels had to use the diesels to push the Joe through this section until the operation of Joes was terminated in June, 1974.

I am disappointed they only tested two tonnage westbound Locotrol-powered trains. Testing the light trains powered by a Joe + diesels was a waste of time.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 08/03/14 09:48
Author: Eastportal

Can someone with more knowledge than I have, please tell me what "corrugated rail" is? I assume a "defective rail joint" was just a low spot at a joint. Thanks

Date: 08/03/14 17:03
Author: fbe

This is when the surface of the rail gets rippled like corrugated metal. This is due to wheel slip from power and dynamic braking particularly on curves. These days railroads use contract rail grinding to keep the rail surfaces smooth and round on top.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1001 seconds