Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Nostalgia & History > Four men on top of tender showing yard.

Date: 03/26/15 09:22
Four men on top of tender showing yard.
Author: flynn

I did a search on the following website for Rock IslandRailroad and found picture 1,  [u][size=14]http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/all/cul[/size][/u][/size] Picture 1, “Title: Four men on top of tender showingyard.  Creator: Bourquin, Jules A.,1877-1964.  Date: 1898-1925.  Part Of Jules A. Bourquin photographs.  Series: Series 2: Prints from the DeGolyerCollection.  Place: Horton, Kansas.  Physical Description: 1 photographic print(postcard): gelatin silver. 

Date: 03/26/15 09:23
Re: Four men on top of tender showing yard.

Picture 2, picture 1 enlarged. 

Date: 03/26/15 09:25

I did a search on the Denver Public Library for RockIsland Railroad and got 777 results.  Oneof the photos is below.   [u][size=14]http://digital.denverlibrary.org[/size][/u][/size] It was somewhat of a mysterywhy the picture of Bennett Avenue, Cripple Creek [Colorado] came up in a search
for the Rock Island Railroad and then I found in the text to the picture, “Hand-written
on back of cabinet card: ‘Probably before 1900.’  Photographer's stamp on back of cabinet card: ‘GreatRock Island Route. Best Line Between Chicago and the Rockies. Solid Vestibuled
Trains and Through Dining Cars, Horace S. Poley, Photographer, 713 N. Tejon
Street, Colorado Springs, Colo.’  Titlehand-lettered on original negative.” 
 My aunt Thelma and her familylived in Cripple Creek in 1940 and my Uncle was a miner at one of the gold
mines.   I think the family lived on BennettAvenue.  My Aunt kept a diary onChristmases, “Christmas in Cripple Creek, Colo. In Button’s house.”  Maybe somedayI will find out if Button’s house was on Bennett Avenue. 
 Picture 3, “Call Number: P-275.  Title: Bennett Avenue, Cripple Creek.  Creator(s): Poley, H. S. (Horace Swartley).  Summary: View of two-story wooden frame gableroof commercial buildings with boardwalk on Bennett Avenue, Cripple Creek,
Colorado; men and single horse-drawn dump cart or coal cart are in foreground;
scene includes Midland Terminal Railway ticket and freight office with sign and
one-story log buildings with hipped roofs and windows; in the distance are
flat-roof brick and wooden frame commercial buildings.  Date: between 1893 and 1896.  Hand-written on back of cabinet card: ‘Probablybefore 1900.’  Photographer's stamp onback of cabinet card: ‘Great Rock Island Route. Best Line Between Chicago and
the Rockies. Solid Vestibuled Trains and Through Dining Cars, Horace S. Poley,
Photographer, 713 N. Tejon Street, Colorado Springs, Colo.’  Title hand-lettered on original negative.  Physical Description: 1 copy photonegative ;10 x 13 cm. (4 x 5 in.); 1 photonegative : glass ; 13 x 18 cm. (5 x 7 in.); 1
photoprint on cabinet card ; 12 x 18 cm. (4 1/4 x 7 in.).  Is Part Of H. S. Poley collection.” 

Date: 03/27/15 05:46
Author: hogheaded

"Four men on top of tender showing yard." Must be the day before the pay car came through. Not a stogie or pint bottle between 'em.
EO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds