Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > Howard Fogg - P&LE Pittsburgh Golden Triangle postcard

Date: 05/28/16 18:55
Howard Fogg - P&LE Pittsburgh Golden Triangle postcard
Author: aaronhanson

I was at an antique show today and picked up this Howard Fogg illustration on a postcard.  It's supposed to be Christmas, 1960.  The postcard was originally part of a booklet collection of 66 P&LE postcards called "Road to the Future" that was put out in 1964.  There was a foreword from John Barriger.  There was also a sturdier version put out with 64 of the 66 images.  The original retail price of the postcard collection was two dollars.  That's what I paid this afternoon for my one postcard, which was still kind of a deal for a small sample of Mr. Fogg's work.  I love his use of lights - the caboose really looks like he's got a bunch of 200 watt bulbs in there.  And there's always someone waving at trackside.    

Date: 05/28/16 23:39
Re: Howard Fogg - P&LE Pittsburgh Golden Triangle postcard
Author: navarch2

A bound artwork book was also created, having 64 images by Fogg from all over the NYC/P&LE , called "Along The Right of Way". It includes 8-1/2 x 11 images on art paper, one per page. 

My Dad brought one home from work at Selkirk one day. I still have it to this day - one of my most treasurred possessions.

Bob

Date: 05/29/16 06:51
Author: jo-tower

Fogg was the BEST rail artist ever!
CJV in Illinois

Date: 05/29/16 07:43
Author: RuleG

The view in the top photo appears to be on a hillside just east of the lower station of the Duquesne Incline.

Here's a GoogleMaps Streetview image from a similar location but closer to the railroad (now CSX with two tracks):

Looking towards the Golden Triangle today

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/16 07:44 by RuleG.

Date: 05/29/16 08:17
Author: 3rdswitch

So did PLE actually ever have anything painted in that scheme?
​JB

Date: 05/29/16 10:03
Author: RuleG

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So did PLE actually ever have anything painted in
> that scheme?
> ​JB

The P & LE had GP7s in a scheme similar to that shown the second photo, but the colors were different.  I was unable to locate a color photo of the prototype, but here's a link to a photo of an HO scale model which was based on a scheme used by P & LE:

Atlas HO Scale Model of PLE GP7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds