Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Nostalgia & History > A D T & I wooden crossbuck in Springfield Ohio

Date: 07/29/16 17:18
A D T & I wooden crossbuck in Springfield Ohio
Author: tq-07fan

This thread was started as a Where Is It

I'll give people something to do while I work on other pictures from yesterday. This should be a Detroit Toledo and Ironton wooden crossbuck, or at least what's left of it. The DT&I used rails for their crossbuck posts up until the end which is what this is mounted to. This crossbuck would have also protected the CCC&StL tracks at the crossing.  

So can anyone guess where this is?

Jim

EDIT: I changed the title and added some more pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/16 06:16 by tq-07fan.

Date: 07/29/16 22:34
Re: A D T & I wooden crossbuck Where Is It?
Author: casco17

Tremont City, Ohio?

Date: 07/30/16 05:33
Author: Milwaukee

Is there the remains of a road in there somewhere?    Hard to tell why the crossbuck was placed there to protect in that view.

I was not aware any road used old rail to mount crossbucks.   Rail would definitely stand the test of time but it would certainly complate mounting the wooden crossbuck to the post.

Date: 07/30/16 12:37
Author: halfmoonharold

Nickel Plate also used old rail for crossbuck posts. NS replaced them in the late 90's. Is this in Springfield, OH?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/16 12:37 by halfmoonharold.

Date: 07/30/16 23:57
Author: JimBaker

Los Angees Railway had at least one Rail-Post Bus Stop sign that I  have seen.
It was at Slauson and Keniston on the 10 Inglewood Line.

jI just had to throw this onei in here!

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 07/31/16 06:23
Author: tq-07fan

Usually the DT&I used a rail with the base facing traffic so the sign could lie flat on it which is why I cannot guarantee that this from the DT&I. In later years the rails for crossings were painted yellow but I do not know when that started. I have seen a few that were not in conformity but who knows. This one is at the stub for Center Street in Springfield Ohio. The CCC&StL and DT&I would have both had tracks crossing here but the street was cut off long ago as I don't find any recent map showing it crossing. My dad and I noticed it while out shooting signal pictures. I had seen it many years before but never took a picture. You have to love being able to take unlimited pictures of everything with digital.

thank you for playing!

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/16 06:24 by tq-07fan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds