Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN E9 units at Aurora,Il -- June 91

Date: 09/25/16 09:03
BN E9 units at Aurora,Il -- June 91
Author: gcm

(1-2)  Towards the end of the evening rush Burlington Northern E9 units and equipment are at the "new" (at the time) Aurora yard.

Date: 09/25/16 09:04
Re: BN E9 units at Aurora,Il -- June 91
Author: gcm

(3)  While getting shots of the trains between Chicago and Aurora during the day, I only saw one train with two units. Here it is to the right. I read at one time the reason for this but have forgotton what it was.
I'm sure someone will remember.

(4)  After dropping off passengers back at the station this train arrives on the main and will back into the yard on one of the foreground tracks.

Date: 09/25/16 09:54
Author: bnsfsd70

God, I miss those things out there. Sigh...

Thanks for the photos!
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 09/25/16 10:39
Author: UP951West

Very nice. Thanks for posting.  I also appreciate it when youi post images from Texas.

Date: 09/25/16 10:59
Author: rdlehmer

Yes, F40's and Winnebagos just don't cut it on the Triple Track Main!

Ron

Date: 09/25/16 18:34
Author: chitownjeff

I believe every Metra line has one train with two engines, I've heard they are called protection engines, so If one of the engines craps out at a outlying terminal they just take one of the engines off the double headed train and place it on the crippled train.

Date: 09/25/16 21:50
Author: garr

Nice photos. I made it out to Aurora around the same time. I have not looked at the slides in many years but do remember capturing around 15 E units in one shot with a Winnebago peeping into,the photos background. Definitely the beginning of,the end.

Jay

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds