Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Nostalgia & History > 3 More from SP Roger Puta

Date: 10/26/16 19:33
3 More from SP Roger Puta
Author: MartyBernard

All three were from the same roll just a few frames apart and stamped by Kodak as August 1982

1. SP 8256

2. SP 9262

3. SP 9262

Thanks again,
Marty Bernard

Date: 10/26/16 19:51
Re: 3 More from SP Roger Puta
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Vicinity of Cannon on the Cal-p.

Date: 10/26/16 21:42
Author: SandingValve

Sure do miss seeing scenes like these with the SP as most of us grew up to know it.

Thanks,
SV

Date: 10/26/16 22:50
Author: wpamtk

Yes, Cannon. In the first photo, the Sacramento Northern bridge over the SP is barely visible behind the trees. In the second and third photos, the SP-to-SN connecting track can be seen at the base of the hill in the background.

Date: 10/26/16 23:06
Author: MartyBernard

Thanks guys.

Marty

Date: 10/27/16 05:42
Author: eljay

looks like lead unit is down . . . slow trip?

Date: 10/27/16 06:38
Author: WAF

Webster Turn on the Cal-P in July. Beets ran late that year due to the heavy rain in theSpring

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/16 06:40 by WAF.

Date: 10/27/16 16:42
Author: UPNW2-1083

eljay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> looks like lead unit is down . . . slow trip?

Makes for a nice quiet trip!-BMT

Date: 10/27/16 21:25

>Webster Turn on the Cal-P

Webster turn. Paid actual miles becuase trip was less than 75 miles one way. I caught one of these off the extraboard about this time, 90-100 empties leaving WO (toepath change); picked up and set out half the cars at Sucro, raced up to Webster, dropped everything using the crossover; put cab on rear of train, went down to Swingle and repeated the P/U S/O performance with the other half the train, then went back to Oak with 90-100 loads for another toepath change. No stops for beans. Sucro has been gone for quite a while (the switch, that is), but a truncated version of Swingle is still there for M/W use (OTOH, perhaps it's gone now too).

Date: 10/28/16 07:51

EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >Webster Turn on the Cal-P
>
> Webster turn. Paid actual miles becuase trip was
> less than 75 miles one way. I caught one of these
> off the extraboard about this time, 90-100 empties
> leaving WO (toepath change); picked up and set out
> half the cars at Sucro, raced up to Webster,
> dropped everything using the crossover; put cab on
> rear of train, went down to Swingle and repeated
> the P/U S/O performance with the other half the
> train, then went back to Oak with 90-100 loads for
> another toepath change. No stops for beans. Sucro
> has been gone for quite a while (the switch, that
> is), but a truncated version of Swingle is still
> there for M/W use (OTOH, perhaps it's gone now
> too).

Only difference what you did, Topper said the train used to wye at Davis and back up the westbound to Swingle when it was the Swingle Turn. Was the switch at Webster accessible from both ends of the mainline?

Used to be a beet dump in Elmira too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/16 07:54 by WAF.

Date: 10/28/16 11:04

>Only difference what you did, Topper said the train used to wye at Davis and back up the westbound to Swingle when it was the Swingle Turn. Was the switch at Webster accessible from both ends of the mainline?

The crossover was a long trailing one right at the mid point of what used to be the center siding (when they were first proposed, I badgered MDO a little bit about naming the new power crossovers "Webster":, but I have no idea how much influence either he or I had -- "Cordelia" is rightlfully Cygnus, and "Marsh" should have been named "Goodyear", the former name of Bahia).

I was absolutely amazed at dropping so many cars all at one time, and it was the 50 loads that kept things rolling (the only times I've been up the North line at Davis were either on 11/14, the Davis local as far as the Heinz plant, or wyeing power). It could be that we shoved the train through the crossover, ran back to Davis on the EB, and had Davis cross us over to run up the WB to Webster, but I don't really recall doing that. How you made the moves to get around the train for departure from Swingle depended on who the crew was, and what Topper describes would require some means of arranging to move against the current of traffic. It's been so long, I don't quite remember how that would have been done (meaning: in them days there was a lot of fudging).

>Used to be a beet dump in Elmira too.

Forgot about that one, but it was used only occasionally for car stoage by the time I was on that Swingle turn.

Date: 10/28/16 12:33

Davis had to make sure Elvas held back anyone or the Beet Turn had to wait for a w/b out of Sacramento to pass

Date: 10/31/16 11:18

>Davis had to make sure Elvas held back anyone or the Beet Turn had to wait for a w/b out of Sacramento to pass

This is what I meant by "fudging", because having Elvas hold W/B traffic wasn't really a kosher way of arranging to run against the current of traffic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0723 seconds