Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > Jct. City, KS UP Depot & Passenger Train in 1964

Date: 01/15/17 15:02
Jct. City, KS UP Depot & Passenger Train in 1964
Author: wyemarsh

In 1964 I took a snap shot of the UP passenger train stopped at the Junction City, KS depot.  This probably was a westbound train running from Kansas City to Denver.

Can anybody tell me what appears to be two small white crosses by the light post in the foreground are for?  I just happened to spot them when I was scanning this
old color slide.

Vince in Valley Center

Date: 01/15/17 15:29
Re: Jct. City, KS UP Depot & Passenger Train in 1964
Author: raytc1944

The train is #17 the "Portland Rose" which ran from Kansas City, MO to Portland, OR.

Date: 01/15/17 16:17
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shot!  Old UP train crews worked Kansas City, MO(home base)-Ellis-KC.  KC based engine crews work KC-Junction City-KC and Salina, KS engine crews worked Salina-Junction City-Ellis-Salina,

Date: 01/15/17 16:22
Author: santafe199

Nice look back, Vince, some great memories for this kid!. My first ride on any passenger train was aboard the Portland Rose in the mid-60s. I remember the entire trip pressing my face against the coach window to try and glimpse those big yellow engines up front. I wish I could answer your question about those white crosses. I spoke with retired UP engineer Bob Helling ('PRose') on the phone, but he couldn't come up with any answers either. I hope you don't mind, but I took your image thru the Photoshop 'carwash' to clean it up a bit...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 16:24 by santafe199.

Date: 01/15/17 17:19
Author: coach

Love the old mailbox, with that color scheme.

Wonder if those crosses are for pets (cats?) that maybe hung out at the station, and passed away?

Date: 01/15/17 17:34
Author: wyemarsh

Thanks, Lance...........I knew that a carwash was just the treatment needed for that poor old slide image.

Can't think of what those crosses stood for........perhaps a nearby train-auto collision leading to death of the occupants of the car?

......Maybe not even a visual reference to death, but some other sign?

While you or Bob or others are viewing this thread, can you help me identify the location of this night scene I shot back in the early 60s?  Possibly Emporia or Newton?

.........Vince in Valley Center

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 17:44 by wyemarsh.

Date: 01/15/17 17:57
Author: The_Chief_Way

I'm sure Lance will recgnize it as looking eastward at the Emporia depot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 23:18 by The_Chief_Way.

Date: 01/15/17 18:07
Author: santafe199

The_Chief_Way Wrote: > ... Lance will recognize it as looking eastward at the Emporia depot...
Bingo! And it looked exactly the same in 1976, the first I visited Emporia as a camera-totin' railfan. They didn't start taking up the smaller red-brick platform fingers until spring 1977, IIRC...

Lance/199

Date: 01/15/17 18:11
Author: KskidinTx

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure Lance will recgnize it as looking
> eastward at te Emporia depot.

You are 100% correct!  I was looking for my car there in the parking lot but didn't see it.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 18:13 by KskidinTx.

Date: 01/15/17 18:40
Author: dan

so many soldiers were brought home on city of st louis in the baggage car during vietnam...

Date: 01/15/17 20:36
Author: upkpfan

Remember the White crosses used to be along te hwy where a death happed. I would gues possibily the same thing happenewd there. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds