Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Nostalgia & History > Mop varnish: pre-Amtrak

Date: 03/27/17 09:45
Mop varnish: pre-Amtrak
Author: santafe199

Every month at the Kansas City Roundtable dinner/presentation I am handed a plastic sheet of slides that TO member Tony Fey has dug out of his collection, along with a page of his written notes. I run the slides through some photo-editing, write up his notes and post the results, usually on the Nostalgia forum. At the following month’s dinner I return Tony’s slides and get his next batch. A few dinners ago fellow TO member Wes Chiles had a half-dozen Missouri Pacific slides he had gotten from a Topeka fan, the late Marion Perrin. Since Tony had started his train service with the Mop Wes thought Mr Perrin’s slides would be better served residing in Tony’s collection. So he gave them to Tony, who immediately handed the slides to me to go along with the regular bunch he had just handed me. I happily ran them through some editing along with the regular bunch.

A couple of months ago ( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4198112,4198112#msg-4198112 ) I posted 2 of those images with shaky location identification. With some very able help from TO member ‘Orient’ both locations were nailed down as Concordia, KS. Here are 2 more images from the slides Wes gave to Tony. This time the locations & approximate dates are known. What’s not known is the train numbers for each image. So let’s see if some of you Mop experts came fill the train # info gap. As for the rest of us: Enjoy!

1. MP 37 at Kansas City, MO in July of 1970.

2. MP 19 at Bismarck, MO in August of 1968.
(2 photos by the late Marion Perrin, from the Tony Fey collection via Wes Chiles)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Wes Chiles (lilwes)
Tony Fey (mopacrr)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/17 11:06 by santafe199.

Date: 03/27/17 09:47
Re: Mop varnish: pre-Amtrak
Author: CPR_4000

I wonder how many of those stainless steel nose eagles survive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/17 09:47 by CPR_4000.

Date: 03/27/17 09:49
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable pictures!

Larry

Date: 03/27/17 09:56
Author: Rathole

I have wondered that many times myself.  As a former MoPac employee I'd sure like to have one but can't imagine how much they might be worth.  

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how many of those stainless steel nose
> eagles survive?

Date: 03/27/17 10:03

Rathole Wrote: > ... I'd sure like to have one, but ...

(chuckling) Yeah! After visiting your turf earlier this month I've come to the conclusion you might be a wee bit short in your stock of collected hardware (hee hee hee)...

;^)

Date: 03/27/17 10:37
Author: KCCharlie

Guys; (Lance, Tony, and Wes) The first slide is Kansas City Union Station.  A look up through the train shed at the un-mistakable windows of KCUS tells the tale.
I will guess from the sun angle that this is train #16, what is left of the Missouri River Eagle, about to depart for St. Louis at 11:30AM.

KCCharlie

Date: 03/27/17 10:50
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots!  Old MP RR T&E crews, based out of St. Louis, worked to and from Poplar Bluffs, MO in the second shot. In the first shot. Old MP RR train crews, based in Jefferson City, MO worked to and from KC. Engineers based in Jeff City deadhead to Sedalia and then worked to and from Kansas City back to Sedalia and then deadhead back to Jeff City.  Firemen, based at Jeff City, worked to and from Kansas City, MO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/17 10:32 by RodneyZona.

Date: 03/27/17 10:57

KCCharlie Wrote: > ...  Kansas City Union Station  ... un-mistakable windows of KCUS ...

Thanks Charlie! I was wondering about that, even without noticing the sliver of the building. But I had to go with what was on the slide. I will duly correct the images I have...

Lance

Date: 03/27/17 11:26
Author: Rathole

Well you know the old saying, "He who dies with the most toys wins!"   Lots of trade material LOL!

santafe199 Wrote:
> Rathole Wrote: > ... I'd sure like to have
> one, but ...
>
> (chuckling) Yeah! After visiting your
> turf earlier this month I've come to the
> conclusion you might be a wee bit short in your
> stock of collected hardware (hee hee hee)...
>
> ;^)

Date: 03/27/17 13:15
Author: mopac1978

The second photo should be unnamed train #3, a St.L to Ft.W train.  It's southbound, scheduled into Bismarck at 2:50pm.  The Texas Eagle, #1, did not stop at Bismarck.

Date: 03/27/17 22:51
Author: NineHourLimit

RodneyZona Wrote:
> Nice shots!  Old MP RR T&E crews, based out of
> St. Louis, worked to and from Poplar Bluffs, MO in
> the second shot. In the first shot. Old MP RR
> train crews, based in Jefferson City, MO worked to
> and from KC. Engineers based in Jeff City worked
> to and from Kansas City.  Firemen, based at Jeff
> City, worked to and from Sedaila, MO.

I'm not so sure about the Sedalia Mo info, Rodney.  Even during the Amtrak era, MP engineers deadheaded westbound from Jeff City to Sedalia, then took the train into KC.  As I recall, the St Louis engineers took the train eastbound from Sedalia.   Didn't the firemen go east and west out of Jeff City, and the engineers out of Sedalia?

Date: 03/27/17 22:59
Author: dan

mopac distancing itself from train riders

Date: 03/28/17 02:21
Author: NiceHandTick

I worked the early Amtrak T&E crews in 1987 and I think you're right during the months of March and April when they piloted the new Amtrak Crews.

Date: 03/28/17 10:44
Author: RodneyZona

NineHourLimit Wrote:
> RodneyZona Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice shots!  Old MP RR T&E crews, based out of
> > St. Louis, worked to and from Poplar Bluffs, MO
> in
> > the second shot. In the first shot. Old MP RR
> > train crews, based in Jefferson City, MO worked
> to
> > and from KC. Engineers based in Jeff City
> worked
> > to and from Kansas City.  Firemen, based at
> Jeff
> > City, worked to and from Sedaila, MO.
>
> I'm not so sure about the Sedalia Mo info,
> Rodney.  Even during the Amtrak era, MP engineers
> deadheaded westbound from Jeff City to Sedalia,
> then took the train into KC.  As I recall, the St
> Louis engineers took the train eastbound from
> Sedalia.   Didn't the firemen go east and west
> out of Jeff City, and the engineers out
> of Sedalia?
​You're correct!  MP Jeff City based engineers deadheaded from Jeff City to Sedalia, then worked the passenger train Sedalia to KC and worked back to Sedalia where the St. Louis based engineer took over and the the Jeff Ctiy engineer deadhead from Sedalia back to Jeff City.  Jefferson City firemen worked to and from KC.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1041 seconds