Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF "Doodlebug" M190

Date: 11/27/03 12:04
ATSF "Doodlebug" M190
Author: Westbound

This Santa Fe "Doodlebug" is a 3 truck articulated diesel unit that by now is probably somewhere on display in the California State Railroad Museum. In 1986 when I discovered it, it was setting in the SP yard in Sacramento, awaiting restoration prior to display. If memory serves me right, it was used in Texas for mail & baggage and may have also pulled a solitary coach for passengers. Shouldn't be too hard to build a working model.

Date: 11/27/03 15:01
Re: ATSF
Author: yardclerk

Thanks for posting that picture. I never get tired of Santa Fe.

Yardclerk

Date: 11/27/03 16:57
Re: AT&SF Doodlebug
Author: pequotjunction

The AT&SF also ran a Doodlebug in Illinois from Chicago to Pekin (which was the only branchline the Santa Fe had in Illinois). This service ended in January, 1955.

Barry

Date: 11/28/03 12:23
Re: AT&SF Doodlebug
Author: dggill

It is at the CSRM, but it has not been restored yet and it is not on public display. It is somewhere in the old SP shop complex that is in the process of becoming the CSRM Museum of Transportation Technology (in other words the repair and restoration complex). Right not the State of California is very short of cash and I can only assume that this will once again delay the time when this complex becomes a reality and extensive restoration work can progress within the shops.

Date: 11/29/03 08:01
Re: ATSF "Doodlebug" M190
Author: NKP715

Photo brought back a good memory - -photographed the M190 in November of 1966 on a Carlsbad to Clovis, NM, train, which consisted of the M190 and a round end obs. Saw the same train several months later, headed by a PA; was told by a railroad employee that the M190 was out of service, but never able to confirm that.

Date: 11/30/03 07:22
Author: blackhillshogger

For the modelers: Walthers used to produce in HO an interesting model of an articulated motorcar calls "the Shuttlejack".
Wish mine still ran!

Date: 05/05/08 02:19
Author: asstsup

Santa Fe also ran one south to Fullerton for awhile. Travel Town in Griffith Park in La has #00157 with plans to restore it also. This is a city owned and run venue So it will take awhile, its been there alost 40 years.

Date: 05/05/08 14:32
Author: SSW41

asstsup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Santa Fe also ran one south to Fullerton for
> awhile. Travel Town in Griffith Park in La has
> #00157 with plans to restore it also. This is a
> city owned and run venue So it will take awhile,
> its been there alost 40 years.

It's the M177 at Travel Town

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds