Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Nostalgia & History > B&O in Bakersfield?

Date: 08/29/04 20:31
B&O in Bakersfield?
Author: MacBeau

Two-and-a-half decades ago the Santa Fe availed themselves of some surplus power from the east; this GP40 was among them.

Date: 08/30/04 07:10
Re: B&O in Bakersfield?
Author: CRmac80

Nice catch back then! My understanding is that many of these B&O GP-40's were on a long term lease, so the ATSF renumbered some of them. In my "Erie" thread below the 4039 had been out on the ATSF for a while- the "4" on the side of the cab was applied before the return of the unit to the Chessie, and a slightly different font and color was used. Does anyone out west have any photos of these with their ATSF number to post? I've not seen very many shots of these "temporary ATSF" units. Thanks in advance!

RAD

Date: 08/30/04 07:37
Author: CRmac80

Here is a closeup of B&O 4049 after it's return from the ATSF for those that might be interested. My guess is that the "4" has been redone using Santa Fe font, blue and yellow.March 23,1980. Again, I would love to see more of the B&O out on the Santa Fe- thanks!

RAD

Date: 09/12/13 13:58
Author: Chooch

What is the rounded item on the front of the B & O loco just below the front coupler?

Jim

Date: 09/12/13 15:21
Author: bakersfielddave

i am sure i saw a solid consist of B&O units led by an ATSF sometime back in the 70s at the loop i have a photo somewhere dusty of it

Date: 09/13/13 08:37
Author: spotto720

Chooch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the rounded item on the front of the B & O
> loco just below the front coupler?
>
> Jim

That is rock pilot. B&O and C&O and Chessie System after them used these rather than a full sized snow plow.

Scott Seders
Salisbury, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds