Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Canadian Railroads > Passenger Trains Return to McAdam, NB

Date: 08/06/09 18:21
Passenger Trains Return to McAdam, NB
Author: cn6218

Passenger trains returned to McAdam, NB last Monday. In celebration of New Brunswick Day, NB Southern ran an excursion between Harvey Station and McAdam. The weekend was also an opportunity to celebrate what would have been the hundredth birthday of fiddler Don Messer, a native of Harvey Sta.

The trips had been planned months in advance, and featured NBSR's recently renovated ex-CN coaches. At the last minute, two business cars from Pan Am Railways went sent up from Waterville, ME, and joined the train to carry dignitaries such as the Lt. Governor and the Premier of New Brunswick.

McAdam is normally a pretty sleepy little town these days, but I've never seen so many people and cars in village. The main street was blocked off, and traffic was detoured through the back streets where everyone had parked their cars. The Canadian Forces were also on hand (CFB Gagetown is close by) with a helicopter on display and LAV rides for the public.

The westbound leg of the trip happened at 9:00 am, with the return scheduled for 3:00 pm. In between, the train made a couple previously unannounced trips to St. Croix (the US border) and back. At 2:30 pm, the whole train was turned on the wye, passengers boarded, and they returned to Harvey.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/09 13:50 by cn6218.

Date: 08/06/09 19:19
Re: Passenger Trains Return to McAdam, NB
Author: spdaylight

very interesting . . . . thanks for posting . . . does NB Southern use the coaches for any other purpose other than special events like this?

Date: 08/07/09 02:35
Author: rschonfelder

That is a nice looking train. I like the colours, simple as they are - kind of Via'ish

Rick

Date: 08/07/09 03:34
Author: kgmontreal

Did the Canadian Forces use the LAV to keep the McAdam geese under control?

KG

Date: 08/07/09 13:48
Author: cn6218

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did the Canadian Forces use the LAV to keep the
> McAdam geese under control?
>
> KG

Maybe. I didn't see any geese while I was there. :-)

I asked about other uses for the NBSR passenger cars on the local Yahoo list, and the reply that came back was that they only see use for various charities, and occasionally one of Mrs. Irving's ladies' clubs.

New Brunswick Southern is owned by the Irving empire, now run as separate units by K.C.'s sons. The shade of green on the locomotives and passenger cars is the same as that used on the buildings and vehicles of Kent Building Supplies, another part of the empire. Whatever you might think of their business practices (and I have no particular quibbles), it's obvious they take pride in their public image, as shown by the fresh, clean paint on the train. Their oil delivery trucks also get washed every time they leave the bulk plant.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2305 seconds