Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Canadian Railroads > Calgary Area

Date: 11/06/10 05:32
Calgary Area
Author: RogerP

Hi

I am visiting Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise and Fairmont Hot Springs from the UK over the Christmas holidays. Is there anyone out there who can offer some suggestions of good locations for photographs and rail fanning. I have been before so know Alyth shops and Sullivan's curve but would welcome any other suggestions
Thanks in advance
Regards
Roger

Date: 11/06/10 07:15
Re: Calgary Area
Author: pummer

I wish I could be of more help to you, but of my many visits to the area, none have been during the winter months. Snow removal and unplowed roads are things I haven't had to consider. The number one spot for me would be Morant's Curve, located a few miles east of Lake Louise on the Bow Valley Parkway. Another easy access spot would be Field (shown in the photo) down the hill from the Spiral Tunnels, which although overgrown, I can never pass by. A number of coal trains run south of Golden along Hwy. 95, should you venture north of Radium Hot Springs. Good Luck!

Date: 11/06/10 07:48
Author: bcr4601

If it snows like they say were going to get this winter than snow boots to keep your feet dry and warm,preferably knee high ones.I best advise dress for the worst and a good rental SUV to get into some of the places.A car will do but again be prepared for the worst.
As to the area the times out there in the winter most places you can access from the old highway between Lake Louise and Exshaw

Dale Miller
Langley, BC

Date: 11/07/10 05:49
Author: railfan

Whilst others have mentioned snow and road conditions as an issue, the other thing to consider is very short days and a low sun to the point many places will either have a very brief time in sun or not at all. You may do better going to the south of Calgary where the line is more open if your plans allow ?

John

Date: 11/07/10 06:55
Author: eminence_grise

Highway 93 (Castle Mountain AB.- Radium BC) is the shortest and most spectacular route from Calgary to Fairmont BC, however it involves a high mountain crossing of the Rockies.

Highway 95 (Golden BC - Kingsgate BC) follows the CP Windermere Sub., and is on the floor of the Columbia River valley. This line sees several coal trains daily, plus a single wayfreight (local). Fairmont itself is a fair photo location for trains, there is a siding parallel the airport. Highway 95 goes high up the hillside south of Fairmont above Columbia Lake to Canal Flats at the south end of the lake. Just before the highway crosses the railway north of Canal Flats, there is a spectacular view of Columbia Lake looking north with the tracks on a causeway in the foreground and the Rockies in the background.

This view is not visible when driving the highway. It is about 300 yards north of the overpass over the railway, thee is room for a car or two beside the northbound lane. The lake shot works best for southbound trains, the northbound shot is from the overpass.

If you are staying at Fairmont, and see a southbound train, you can get to this spot before the train does. As the Fairmont area is between two mountain ranges, there is less snow in the valley but the winter temperatures can be very cold.

While Americans consider Canada "far north" in terms of winter sunlight, this part of BC and Alberta is between 49 and 51 degrees north, most of the UK is north of 53.

The railway west of Field BC works on BC (Pacific) time, but the towns are on Alberta (Mountain) time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/10 07:28 by eminence_grise.

Date: 11/10/10 19:04
Author: rschonfelder

As a railfan who may enjoy some unique winter hospitality, I recommend staying in Field for a night or two. It may allow you to experience the ferocity of Canadian winter railroading (even if the skies are clear) and there are some nice/quaint little lodges that have popped up there since I moved from Calgary. Realising that Field is in a steep valley and with the short days, photography may be limited. However, once the line crosses the border (Stephen) and comes down to Field, the running is north to south in this Kicking Horse Valley before it does a dogleg western bend into the Kicking Horse Canyon. There are great photos to be had in here.

Golden and south (as mentioned by Phil Mason above) will place you in the Rocky Mtn. Trench with lower elevations than Calgary. Here the wide open valley will provide daylight longer and one would think that Coalies are a dead certainty. Best bet would be a southbound empty if that can fit in for you.

Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds